Archive through March 15, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through March 15, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

LOUIE LACY
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 07:03 pm:   

The problem I had with my Tablet computer shutting down was related to vibration. I placed the Tablet in the seat and it worked fine . Now I plan on building a bracket with shock mounts
If anyone is planning on getting real time NEXRAD for their Express I would recommend WXWORX(no I don't work for them). The cost is about 1/4th the cost of WSI and works great. Also if you are as old as I am you can't see weather on a PDA
LL

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 07:04 am:   

Louie,

You might consider having your prop dynamically balanced. If there is enough vibration to cause your computer to reboot, then that vibration will be causing other problems as well, such as prematurely using up the fatigue life of various components, early avionics failures, etc.

Jim

Jeff Dingbaum
Username: Aviators

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 07:55 pm:   

I'm stumped. Where do I order Q-cell? According to the builders manual, Q-cell
is "special type of microspheres, or very small hollow quartz bubbles."
A/C spruce doesn't sell it. Wicks has a glass and quartz microballon mixture. I'm down to the end of the supply that came with my kit and need to order some. Anyone have any ideas?

Jeff

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 08:45 pm:   

A good source is:

http://www.fibreglast.com/

Andy Plunkett
Username: Awplunkett

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   

http://www.tapplastics.com/ has it too. If you're lucky like us, there's one in your neighborhood too.

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 11:15 pm:   

Under the page titled "Fillers" in their catalog:

Aircraft Spruce sells all the necessary materials for glassing including "Glass Bubbles" as listed under PN/ 01-14600 (1 lb) or PN/01-14700 (5 lbs).

They also have the "Milled Glass Fibers" PN/01-14780 (1 lb) and "Cab-o-sil" PN/ 01-04711 (1 gal bag).

Do not confuse "Milled Cotton Fibers" with "Milled Glass Fibers".

They also sell bagging materials including the Nylon Bagging Film PN/01-14805 that I used many yards of.

Peel Ply is available in roll stock 66" wide PN/ 09-00300 (this is my choice of peel ply material) in the 2.7 oz weight. The other (1.7 oz) PN/ 09-00090 is too thin and wrinkles easily. Of course they have the rolls of cut widths (tapes) but I always cut my own strips from the yardage. Much cheaper and you get the size and length you need easily. See my article about "Peel Ply" on my web page. www.sierratel.com/jerico

Sounds like you could use some of the other information found on the site. It is older information "but" some things don't change.

Cheers, Jerry Sjostrand

Sven-Ake Eriksson
Username: Sven

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 11:20 pm:   

A&S has this stuff it is their part no:01-14600(1 gal) or 01-14700(5 gal)and is called "glass bubbles". I have found this to be top quality. Beware that glass bubbles come in different qualitys, using the wrong one will increase specific weight of finished q-cell mixture by a factor of at least two!

Jeff Dingbaum
Username: Aviators

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 04:26 pm:   

Thanks everyone for their input. For what it's worth, I did see the glass bubbles in the Spruce catalog. What I didn't see is Qcell. I guess that I'm overanalyzing it. I'm not a chemist and I don't pretend to know if micro is the same as qcell. A data sheet on one of the products showed the composition to be 97% Soda Lime BorosilicateGlass and 3% Amorphous Silica. Is that Quartz? :-) Apparently they are interchangeable though...

Jerry, thanks for the tips, I use peel ply, both thick and thin versions, use cabosil occasionally, etc. I did check out your web page a few years ago and it had some good stuff on it, but I probably could pick up a pointer or two or maybe remember one I already forgot ;)

Jeff

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 11:53 am:   

Does anyone know the source of the nosewheel axle? Doing the condition inspection on 456TS right now and the axle is scored from the bearings

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 06:05 am:   

I picked up a grade 8 from an industrial bolt supplier as no AN is available. As supplied from EAC mine was to short. The non-threaded portion did not pass through the fork and I didn't like the idea of threads bearing on the fork.