Need advise Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Need advise « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Douglas Hoff (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   

Dear Express Friends-

I was the first to go through the Express "Factory Assist" program and have a beautiful Express, which has been in Oshkosh twice. It has a problem, which some say is probably nothing at all, and some say it shouldn't be flown. The problem is that the engine mounts seem to be experiencing some delamination and the firewall has some warp spots. Jerry has graciously offered to come and inspect it but he's busy and I hate to bother him. It appears that my options are to either find someone to inspect and repair it if repair is necessary or to sell it to someone whom is a more experienced builder and wants to do the inspection and repair and get a beautiful plane. I would be willing to do either, so am asking all of you if you know of anyone either capable of the inspection and repair or that wants to buy it. It has the 4 blade MT prop and the IO 550N continental, also the new landing gear.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Hoff
doug@scotchcap.com

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   

Hi Doug,

Do you have any pictures of the damage? I find it hard to believe that the firewall can warp since the engine mount is essentially bolted to the frame of the aircraft through gussets that attach to the fuselage. The only stress that should occur on the firewall is from the rudder pedals and other misc. things that are bolted to the firewall. Delamination of the gussets is a very serious thing -- if that's happening then there either weren't enough lay-ups made or the surface was contaminated and you will have to re-do it.

Keep us informed and I would highly suggest that you don't fly it until some qualified eyes give their opinions.

Phil & Margie Hodge
Username: N410mp

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 07:03 am:   

Doug -

If the buckling and delamination is within the fiberglass itself then I agree you may have a problem. If you can see it in the gussets down around the rudder pedals I'm fairly certain you have a problem. However, if it is showing itself in the stainless steel sheet that is on the engine side, it is probably nothing. That sheet is intended as a fire stop only, and has no structural value. It is not bonded to the glass, only connected as other things are bolted through it, and sealed at the edges. It can be expected to warp and buckle over time.

wayne (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 04:53 am:   

did you peal back the insulation inside the cockpit behind the FW? what do the engine mount blocks look like,give them alittle knock with a screw driver handle for a nice solid sound. if they look good I wouldn't worry, but if they have changed or de-lammed then you need some work.
FYI I am surprised at the amount of heat that radiats through the FW, my feet and legs get plenty hot, so I am sure the fiberglass FW it's self is HOT and swelling, just can't see it via the ss cover.

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

Dear Express Friends-

I just want to thank everyone for their replys and advise. I had someone else tell me what you just did Wayne (tap the area and other areas and compare the sound). I know that the glass work on the engine mounts isn't the best, but it' been that way since the start so maybe it's nothing serious....

Let's just hope that the new owners can get things going again so that we can get parts and advise again.

Thanks!!!!

Doug Hoff

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: