Wing/Horizontal Stabilizer Incidence Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Wing/Horizontal Stabilizer Incidence « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hans Georg Schmid
Username: Hgschmid

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 06:39 am:   

I am building an EXPRESS 2000 and I am about to install the wings to the fuselage. Talking to several builders here and in the US I was always advised to take the following measurements which were confirmed by entries in the forum:

Horizontal stabilizer: Incidence – 0.7 to – 0.8° (nose down)
Wings: Incidence + 2.0° (nose up), dihedral 5° (bottom of spar) / 4° (top of spar)

In the EXPRESS 2000 manual, the following measurements are prescribed:

Horizontal stabilizer: Incidence 0°
Wings: Incidence + 1.5°, dihedral 5° (bottom of spar) / 4° (top of spar)

The incidence of the horizontal stabilizer is already set at – 0.7°. The installation of the wings has not started yet. I wonder whether anybody has an idea of whether the wing incidence in the EXPRESS 2000 may be set at + 2° (with the given incidence of the horizontal stabilizer) or whether I should change the incidence of the horizontal stabilizer to 0° and set the wing incidence to + 1.5°.

Any educated guesses would be highly welcome. Knowledge even more so…

Thanks.

Hans Georg Schmid
Switzerland

Ted Gaston (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 09:24 pm:   

Hans,
Which wing do you have? The actual S2000 wing or the S2000 v2.0 wing?
All of the Horizontals I set up at the factory 12+ were set at 0 deg except 512EA. Since it started out life as a S90 the Horizontal was set at -1deg.
All of the R.G.s were set at nuetral but with a little negative incidence you will tolerate it a bit better if you are loaded a littla aft. Hope that helps.

Hans Georg Schmid

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:37 pm:   

Ted,

I do have the original Express 2000 wings. At which incidence did you install those wings?
Thanks

HG

Kevin Dennes
Username: Kdennes

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 04:34 am:   

Greetings Hans.
I set our 2000 according to "the book" (i.e. 0 deg on the horizontal) and it flys and handles very well. We have tested it in all of the weight and balance limits and it performs as we would like it.
I would not make any comment about your wing settings if you do not have the horizontal set at neutral. Others may have some experience on that.
Regards.
Kevin (from 'Downunder')

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 07:53 am:   

Hans,
That wing was always set at 0deg incidence. How are you gauging the reading you have now. Maybe this is a tool issue.

Hans Georg Schmid

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   

Ted,
Not talking about the horizontal stabilizer (it may easily be changed to 0°) I wonder that you set the wings at 0° as the manual clearly mentions 1.5° for the Express 2000 wing.
Did I get anything wrong?
Talking to my engineer of aerodynamics here in Switzerland who knows the design well he slept over it and crunched obviously some numbers and recommended today to stick to the +1.5° incidence for the wings.
Best regards and thanks
HG

Chris M (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:44 pm:   

HG -

If memory serves correct, your set of wings (original S-2000 wing w/the NLF airfoil) should be set at +1.5° incidence. It's not often you find an airplane with a 0° main wing incidence - especially high-perforance ones.

Hope that helps...

- Chris

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 03:05 pm:   

Sorry, I wasn't clear, the wing is set at +1.5 and the horizontal is set at 0 when associated with that wing.

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   

Question to Chris and Ted (or others that might know).
What is the NASA# for the airfoil on the S-2000.
Cheers, Jerry

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   

Could someone please clear up for me the timeline and differences of the different wings?

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 04:49 pm:   

Since the profile was unchanged in the S2000 Re-tooling. The NASA# should be the same for the Wheeler, Auriga, EDI and EAC S2000 v1.0 wing. The R.G. or S 2000 V2.0 wing has a completely different profile. The production break point was around mid year 2003 although a number of S2000 V1.0 skins were produced to cover the transition period. I don't know who got what as far as wings go but if your spar is taller than normal you got an v2.0 wing.
Alan Roe might be able to shed some more light on that since he was there up till the doors closed Oct 2004.

Brian McKinney
Username: Bmckinney

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 05:19 pm:   

Jerry,

Here's some information from the old website.

Airfoils

Chris M (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 06:44 pm:   

Jerry -

As you can see by the chart Brian posted, the original Express airfoil was the NASA NLF(1)-0215(F) section (but it had the trailing edge cusp removed/flattened on the bottom surface). The new airfoil on the S-2000 v2.0 wing was designed to use the same tooling as the original wing, is a very similar to the NACA 747A-315 section. There's also about 10 more sq. feet of total wing area on v2.0

- Chris

wayne (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 05:01 am:   

I'm no engineer, but the low tail planes I have seen all seem to need plenty of up trim, mine did to , so I removed my H stab and shimmed it nose down a degree or 2. now the elevator flies fair with the stab with 4 people and the tab is more neutral. By the way, my tab is about half the size of the stock 2000. what ever the "manual" says, is how I originally had it. There was no noticable speed gain by the way.

wayne (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 05:13 am:   

I am no engineer, but every low tail I have seen needed up trim, mine did too. So I remeved my Hstab and shimmed the nose down a degree or 2. now the elevator flies fair with the stab, with 4people/cruise. What ever the "maunual" says is how I originally set it. BTW there was now noticable speed gain.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: