Brake Line Routing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Brake Line Routing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 07:03 pm:   

Greetings Everyone,

I was wondering where everyone ran their brake lines from the gear leg into the fuselage. We're about ready to start running the lines, and after taking a quick look, I'm not sure what's easiest:

1. Run the braided and/or nylon hose through the main spar and then into the fuselage behind the aileron torque tubes, or

2. Run the lines through rib R and into the fuselage close to the flap torque tubes.

Both routes are going to require drilling a hole through the fuselage...how has everyone else done theirs? Any suggestions on what's easiest?

Thank you everyone!!

Mike Farley

P.S. Here's a more current picture of our plane. Now that the wing root fairings are primed to match the rest of the plane, it almost looks complete!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/000_0359.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/000_0358.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/000_0357.jpg

Hope to see everyone at OSH very soon!!

Charles Wood
Username: Cwood

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 07:23 pm:   

Mike; We ran mine through the main spar then in behind aileron torque tubes along with fuel lines and wireing (We put two holes in the fuselage and glassed in some short peices of PVC). Bill worked at Express, and i'm pretty sure that's how they did it also. Aircraft looks great..

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 07:51 pm:   

Thank you Charles, for the quick reply. We were thinking the same thing, but I can't recall ever running the fuel lines through the spar. We have the older CT kit and I think all fuel plumbing was in front of the main spar.

For that reason, I'm thinking that the easiest way is going to be drill a small hole behind the spar carry-through and then run the lines through the opening in rib R where the landing gear attaches.

Any thoughts? Thank you everyone for all your help!!

Mike Farley

Bill Copeland
Username: Cbros

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 08:31 pm:   

We have 2 CT's like yours and one Series 90 that have been built in our shop. Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like you have the steel main gear. If so, our practice is to start at the brake with a short piece of steel braided line 8 - 12 inches, using a hard line with a wood fairing up the back of the leg to a point inside the wing. A flex line is then routed through the wing over the landing gear to a bulkhead fitting at the side of the fuse near the hole for the flap torque tube but within the covered area for the torque tube. Inside the fuse, up to the nose gear support is hard tube (with provision for a parking brake) with flex hose the rest of the way to the rudder pedals.
I have pictures I can furnish and a couple of EXPRESS Link newsletter articles which talk about the installation as we have done it. If you would like such info, contact me direct at my E-mail address, and we can talk.

Bill C

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: