Archive through April 16, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through April 16, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Rich
Username: Mrich

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:21 pm:   

Ted Gaston: I tried to send you an email but your comcast account bounced. Do you have a new address?

Mark Rich

ali moghaddas
Username: Amoghadd

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 09:57 am:   

I have the single door configuration. The door hinges require two slots on top of the fuselage (7/8 x 5/8 in wide). I am concerned about water intrusion thru two opennings this large. I am pretty close to redesigning/ fabricating new hinges on the door side.
Does anyone with the single door configuration knows an easy solution to this problem. Photos, or sketches are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ali

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   

I glassed an additional tab from the door side that covers the portion of the hinge from the door, and rotates with it. It basically covers the open area in your bottom picture, except for the obvious ~ 1/8th inch groove around the periphery. From there on, the amount of water that gets in is minimal, and drains down the sides of the door channels. The channels are all painted, and water shouldn't hurt the fiberglass anyway. My plane is 5 years old and has been out or flown in the rain many times with no problems.

Reinhard Metz

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 06:11 pm:   

Ali
Call up to the hangar tomorrow and speak with Bill. One of the newsletters shows a re-designed hinge that is pretty simple. I'm sure we can run a copy and fax it to you. That's the direction that I went, and the same as what is on the Copeland Express.
As for rain, the door seal routes the water to the bottom of the door frame.
Jim

ali moghaddas
Username: Amoghadd

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 09:01 am:   

Thanks Reinhard & Jim.
I am trying to use the hinge that is already installed . The problem is in my case, the rod end/ tab has a little disc about 5/8" in diameter that has to travel thru the slot, hence, the slot is 5/8" wide as oppose to Reinhard's 1/8".
I got the issue of the Express Link, & I have talked to Bill.
I'll make a decision how I am going to approach this problem this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ali

Steve Johnston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   

I've been looking for several internet sites in regards to an Express support group. I'm considering puchasing a 1997 Express FT already completed and flying for several years. I've researched the Express in the past, talked with Express Aircraft LLC on several occassions, but find myself wondering if I'd be rolling the dice? I'm hoping some of you out there might shed some light on the subject. Are there enough people out there to help support the current Express owners with parts and questions. This plane is obviously finished and already flying, but what happens when I run into issues down the road...who do I call for help? I'm excited to get involved with flying and owning an Express, but hope some of you might shed a little light on the positives and negatives to look out for. One last request, the plane is in Michigan, I'm in Denver, are there any good people in Michigan (A&P's) that might help me look this plane over? Any and all help would be appreciated. My cell is 720-935-6654. Thank you for your help. Steve

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 05:44 am:   

I love my Express and think it is the best value for the dollar, but then I built it myself.
If you are not capable or interested in fixing and repairing an airplane yourself then maybe you should stick to a factory model that any AP can/will work on, otherwise it could be expensive.
Any homebuilt is a crapshoot. I have seen many really nice planes and some I would not get in. My first plane was a homebuilt but was as good as any factory plane made.
Insurance may be the deciding factor for you so check into that. I had a talk with my agent, he knows that factory parts availability is not a issue with my plane as I can/will make any thing I need.
If you get to the point of purchasing the plane in MI, I have a buddy AP that might look at it for you, for a fee as that is his job. I would NEVER think of buying without first looking at it myself. They always look better in the pictures, see mine in the gallery sec.
Good luck, you can always build a plane yourself and save. If you get to Eastern Indiana stop by and we will go fly a 2000 series.

Steve Johnston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 08:38 am:   

Wayne,
Thanks for the comments and yes I would like to know who your A&P friend is. I'm serious about this Express, I've checked the insurance issues, and I'm willing to learn the insides and out of the plane for future repairs. But I absolutely agree with taking a professional to help look the plane over. You can call me or email me back, Thanks. Steve Johnston 720-935-6654 or sjohnston28@hotmail.com

Bill Copeland
Username: Cbros

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 05:31 pm:   

Steve:
Using the services of an A&P is the minimun you should do.
Even better, and I think essential, would be to have someone who has actually constructed an example of the Model you are considering, and who has flown his work for at least 200 hours.

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 11:37 am:   

Steve:
I built and am currently flying an Express series 2000 based at Plymouth-Mettetal airport (1D2) outside of Detroit, MI. I have about 350 hr. on it now and can tell you it is the best airplane for the money anywhere. I recently took a Mooney flyer for a ride and he couldn't get over the stability and terrific flying qualities of the airplane. I would be happy to look over the airplane with you and/or an A&P. I may not be too familiar with the tail area if it is a cruciform tail, but the rest of it should be similar to the series 2000 I built. Where in MI is the plane located?