It finally flew after 9 1/2 years of ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » It finally flew after 9 1/2 years of building. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 31, 2005Brian McKinney10 07-31-05  06:59 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:21 pm:   

Congratulations! I know you're thrilled and justifiably proud. And the fun will just get better as you get those hours done! For the rest of us, another airplane flying and the factory back (or soon to be) on line are welcome 'positives.'

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Kevin Frank
Username: Kevin_frank

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:59 pm:   

Thanks for all the support. I sure does make you feel good knowing you're all out there cheering us on.

I have been asked to provide some details so here goes.

My Express is a hybrid. It has the Wheeler wings and lower fuselage, Auriga upper fuselage, my own stab, rudder, and elevator (foam core), and my own cowl design.

It is powered by an O-540-A1A and a Hartzel two bladed prop (all off the nose of an early Comanche). Because it has a carb I designed and fabricated my own cowl with a scoop underneath. I have the wheel pants but just don't have them mounted for the early flights.

It's empty weight is 1760 lbs.

It's panel is filled with the steam gauges (That's all that was available when I started) and a single Collins nav/com with a Garmin Pilot III GPS.

Speaking of $, one of the postings above mentioned how much I have invested in the plane. The truth is......that he's right. I have less than $23k invested in the entire plane (including engine, prop, and panel)

After I enjoy flying it for a while I will think about upgrading to things like Electronic ignition, fuel injection, glass panel etc.

I now have almost 2.5 hours and the engine cooling has been fine. It is blowing more oil than I would like though.

The only issues found have been the nose wheel shimmy (fixed by tightening the nut per a posting in this forum), and radio issues (transponder not reporting alt. and headset issues).

I'll keep you posted as more hours are put on her.

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

Kevin
Great job! Airplane looks super. Hope you have many years of flying fun. If you ever come to MI, give us a holler. Gary

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

Hey Kevin, that previous post was me. Don't want to be an "unregistered guest." Gary

Bruce Newlan
Username: Bnewlan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:41 pm:   

Kevin:
Beautiful airplane you have there. Congratulations! Could you give me some more information on how you constructed the rudder and elevator. What foam did you use? How much glass on top? What is the approximate finished weight? How did you perform the load calculations?

I would really like to lighten the tail of my series 90 as soon as I finish getting my wing leading edge cleaned up to the correct airfoil.

Bruce
}

Jim Butler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 02:04 pm:   

Congratulations Kevin! You have built a fine looking airplane.

Jim

Bruce Hitchens (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 02:35 pm:   

Congratulations Kevin. May you have many hours of great flying.

Bruce Hitchens

Bob Henderson (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 06:41 pm:   

Good luck Kevin! I'm not too far behind you, but I started 12 years ago! Congratulations! Bob

Kevin Frank
Username: Kevin_frank

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 08:31 pm:   

Just thought I would give everyone an update on my Express. It has about 300 hrs on it now and has flown from Denver to NY to the Bahamas and numerous points in between, including Oshkosh 5 years in a row. Its a joy to fly and has turned heads where ever it goes. Attached is a picture of her over the Bahamas this past Feb. This has been a trip I have dreamed of for years and my Express made it a reality.
Bahamas

Michael Nackerman
Username: Nackerman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 05:53 am:   

Great to see you still in the air!! Beautiful.

Jimmie Kevin Alderman
Username: Vikingpilot

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 07:39 am:   

Good job, looks nice. I have flown to the Bahamas, it's a beautiful flight, over water but not too far. I have my fuselage done except for glass, working on the panel, and have a new Rotary Engine sitting on the engine mount. Sometimes it seems like a slow process, but worth it in the end.

The next time you are in the area, let me know. I can drive up to KTMB (customs check in) in just over an hour I would love to see your plane!

Kevin Alderman

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: