Fuel pumps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Fuel pumps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Jennett (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:10 am:   

Weldon elec fuel(boost) pump on Lyc IO360 C1E6 has failed; we can't remember why we had this $650 pump on there in the first place..!! Can I replace it with one of the many Facet $30 to $80 pumps.? ? ? Any opinions..? thks..!}

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   

Not a good idea. How has it failed? Mine quit once too, and I took it apart and cleaned it, and it was fine -can get crud in it from water infiltration - they are actually very well designed, tough little pumps, and can be repaired and maintained. The Weldon people will also provide support. Let me know if i can provide any further help:
n49ex@aol.com

Reinhard Metz

David Rowe
Username: N12ex

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 06:49 pm:   

Martin I also have a Lycoming IO360 C1E6 with a Weldon pump. Can anyone tell me what fuel pressures I should be seeing with and without the boost on? What pressures were you seeing before and after the failure occured Martin? What was your failure mode? Thanks

David Rowe

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 02:01 am:   

Hey,

Since we're talking fuel pumps, let me throw my 2-cents in. I've an IO-540 C4B5. The troubleshooting guide says: Fuel pressure too low (fuel-injected engines only)(12 psi for idle, normal range for operation 29-65 psi). My plane came with a Holley-Blue fuel pump (avaialble from Jegs and even from Auto Zone, sometimes, for around $100). These put out only 14 psi but flow around 90 gph. I'm looking to upgrade this pump to one of more psi as even with the higher flow rate, the 14 psi will likely not keep the engine running much past Idle. Depending on which Weldon you have, it will flow 21 psi, which at least give you a chance of mid-power. The Facets only put out 4 to 6 psi, which I don't think will support the IO-360 at even idle. There are several other options avaialble from high-perf auto shops (Jegs) that will put out 21 psi (or more) and match the mechanical pump. These vary from $200 up to $900 (or more).

Whichever you choose, if you don't have heat shielding, then I highly recomment it. Even a piece of aluminum fashioned to cover it (with ventilation) and prevent radiant heat from the exhaust/oil pan will prolong the life of the pump. That's what killed my first fuel pump.

As an aside, I've noticed that when I kick on the elec pump in flight or on the ground, my digital fuel flow gauge (part of the engine monitor sys) shows an increase in fuel flow. While that gives me confidence it's running, it also makes me wonder where the extra fuel is going as the Lyc doesn't have a fuel return line like the Cont, and the RPMs aren't changing. I'm guessing it's being dumped overboard. Can't read fuel pressure (yet) but I can definitely see the fuel-flow transducer change.

Hope that helps.

Chuck

Jim Butler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 06:32 am:   

I have an IO-540 with the Weldon pump. My fuel pressure runs between 29 and 31 psi, whether I am running the Weldon pump, or just running off the engine driven pump. My Weldon pump failed this summer also, with only 500 hours on it. It had some debris inside, possibly some that we didn't get out of the tanks when we built the plane.

Jim

LOUIE LACY
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 07:15 am:   

If you have a VM1000 you will get low fuel pressure readings for about 30 minutes into a flight when using the engine driven fuel pump. This is caused by the fact the engine driven pump puts out pulses instead of a constant flow. This is not a problem and please don't replace the engine driven pump like I did. Turning on the Weldon pump(electric) will bring the fuel pressure reading to normal ( about 24psi)
The problem seems to correct itself after about 30 minutes at cruise. Don't know why??
Lou Lacy

Jim Butler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 07:47 am:   

Lou, I have the VM1000 and have not experienced what you have. I wonder what the difference is? Maybe it is because I turn on the Weldon pump before I start the engine, and don't turn it off until I'm at least 3500 feet AGL.

Jim

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   

I have a continental io550n with the vm 1000 and my fuel pressure usually reads 9 to 12. This seems low and I was wondering how others read? Also, does it hurt anything to run the boost pump when swithching fuel tanks?

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 02:41 pm:   

My I/O-360C1C6 runs about 22-24 PSI, with the Weldon kicking it up to 24-26. The VM1000 always shows a steady reading. Running the pump on tank switch-over for a Lycoming is standard practice. My recolection for many Continental fuel injection systems is that the pump will flood and kill the engine, but I'm not sure if that's true under all unning conditions.

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 05:46 pm:   

I have a Continental IO 550. My fuel pressure is about 10 to 12 psi, registered on my VM 1000. If I turn on the fuel pump the pressure increases by 4 psi. Pump output is adjustable via a resistor on the firewall. At idle, the electric pump will kill the engine if left on too long. I use it for starting only. In cruise, the electric fuel pump doesn't seem to make any difference except to increase fuel flow.

wayne (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   

Airflow Performance sells a nice aux pump, that is easy to install, I have 2 in service for over 400hr each. cheaper then a Weldon too.

Werner Maag, CH8174 Stadel, Switzerland
Username: Wmaag

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 08:52 am:   

In Switzerland our EAS Club wants us to show fuel flow measured at the throttle entrance with the backup elelctric fuel pump running. The set up is 16° nose up attitude, fuel flow should be 125% of maximum flow at max power output of the engine. (Simulating a engine fuel pump failue in a low go around or takeoff) Yesterdays measuring s showed only about 100 lb/hour instead of 200 lb/hour when 16° up for a Conti IO550N and with the Weldon pump.
Q: Do I have too much resistance in the tubing (3/8") or the pump is performing weak?

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 06:01 pm:   

Werner, I have the same engine in my CT Express. The fuel pump is not used on takeoff or landing so it essentially is for high boost priming and for low boost starting assist. When I built mine, the low boost was set so that it increased the fuel pressure by 4-5 psi at 1500 rpm. If you need to meet a requirement to demonstrate that your fuel pump is capable of meeting fuel requirements at full throttle (and climbing!!!), you may have to use a three position switch or add a second fuel pump that would take over either the fuel assist for starting or the emergency fuel needs if your engine pump fails.

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 06:48 pm:   

I have a Cont IO-520-D and am wondering about a fuel boost pump. The Type Cert data on the engine specifies the following fuel pressure limits to the injection pump: min minus 2 psig; max 10 psig; with outlet to the vapor return line 3.5 psig max.
Unless I'm misreading the Type Cert data or don't understand where that pressure is measured, it seems that the Weldon pumps put out too much pressure and that may be why folks are flooding their Cont engines when they leave the pump on too long. What pumps are being used by the folks with cont fuel injection systems? Other than dropping the voltage with a resister are there any Weldon pumps that only provide 10 psig or are there any with an adjustable output pressure? Some of the facet pumps seem to fit the bill but I worry about fuel pressure variations caused by the pump operation. I know of several kits that use the facets. Are the Weldon's piston pumps or vane pumps? Does anybody know of any other pumps that have a steady output pressure in the range of 10 psig? at somewhere around 150-200 #/Hr. I've not been able to find anything on the web from airflow performance like Wayne refers to. Seems like a lot of questions but you got to wonder when the pump cost ranges from $30-1000 dollars; particularly when its just used for prime and low speed starting.

Werner Maag, CH8174 Stadel, Switzerland
Username: Wmaag

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 10:02 am:   

The new pump from Dukes, Northridge Cal. Part # 5455-00-1 for 12V does the job regarding the required 125% max engine consumptin (CONTI io550N) flow with 15° up pitch in static test.

It has 2 stages, I installed a 3 Pos switch
I-0-II with a green and yellow LED.

According the Dukes test data sheet:
The low stage is 5 PSI, 19 Gal/h, at 13.5V, 3A
high is 16 PSI, 54 Gal/h, at 13.5V, 5.7A

This pump is similar to the weldon with integral bypass and vane type.
For priming I use highstage until flow and press stabilizes, then engine start is quick, for low power use only low stage. This pump is a real backup for high power in case the engine pump would fail. Lancair has it in its catalog for the IO550 engines for the Legacy. ~ 700$

Flight experience will follow, I received the provisional airwothiness certificate only today!

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 09:39 pm:   

Congratulations Werner! and thanks for the info

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: