Gas Springs for Doors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Gas Springs for Doors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Butler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 02:48 pm:   

Does anyone remember where Larry got the gas springs for the doors?

Jim

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   

Jim;
Do a search on this forum for "Door gas struts" and you will see lots of information.

Many of you builders have forgotten what a wonderful archive of information there is available using the "search" function.
Cheers, Jerry

Chris M (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:15 pm:   

Hi Jim -

Larry first used NAPA gas struts for cabin and baggage doors, although I believe EAC later switched to another supplier (Guden). McMaster-Carr sells some decent, affordable struts as well.

- Chris

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:26 pm:   

Like Jerry says, go do a search - there is lots of info there already. And specifically, the thing to do is buy adjustable units from McMaster-Carr. Then you can customize them exactly as you want, and they are MUCH cheaper. Suggested part numbers are on the site somewhere also - I remember posting them.

Reinhard Metz, N49Ex

Reinhard Metz

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:29 pm:   

Like Jerry says, go do a search - there is lots of info there already. And specifically, the thing to do is buy adjustable units from McMaster-Carr. Then you can customize them exactly as you want, and they are MUCH cheaper. Suggested part numbers are on the site somewhere also - I remember posting them.

Reinhard Metz, N49Ex

Reinhard Metz

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:31 pm:   

Here's a repeat of my previous post:

Alright, already! So, now I had get my lazy butt off the couch and go through my file of 8 thousand receipts from building the airplane and dig out the McMaster-Carr part numbers!

The single door gas spring I have is a 6465K14 with 6465K22 ends. The spring is $27.18!!! This unit is adjustable, with a max force of 146#

The baggage door spring I have is a 9416K151, which is fixed pressure, $9.90.

Go get 'em!! (seriously, if you go this route look at the spring end options carefully to fit your bracketing)

Reinhard

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:14 am:   

I replaced my passenger door strut recently, as I got tired of getting hit in the head when it came down. The gas charge in the spring was compromised, likely since it sat compressed for a long time without moving. Anyway, the original strut was by SPD (service plus distributors), which the previous builder no doubtedly bought at the NAPA auto parts store across the street from his hangar. This was an SPD-GS-2150-60 with an Extended Length: 15.25"; Compressed Length: 9.75"; Stroke: 5.5"; P1 Force: 60. These are avaialble on-line from SPD for $28.26(USD) plus shipping, and include the end hardware. I chose to replace this strut with the almost identical McMaster-Carr product (mcmaster.com) 9416K17 gas spring with Threaded Ends, 15.63" Extended Length, 6.30" Stroke, and the 9416K86 Nylon 10 mm Ball Socket End Fitting for the threaded ends, which add 0.75" to each end. These cost $11.39 and $1.13 USD, each, respectively. The McMaster-Carr product screwed onto the existing SPD fittings, but was just slightly snugger in fit as it is slightly longer in compressed length. A slight modification of one mounting plate fixed the snugness. For the rear baggage door, the previous builder installed (and I kept) a simple 12" coiled, 3/8" diameter SS spring that stays rigid when straight, holding the door 'up' easily. When you bend the spring, like a slinky toy, the spring folds in half allowing the door to be closed. It's light-weight and quite simple. I also used the McMaster-Carr 1120A832 (same as 1120A83) Push-On Edge-Trim Rubber Seal for 1/16" Edge, 5/8" Bulb Width, to seal the doors. It's only avaialble in black, but it goes on quick and seals very well. You can get it in various thickness for your door fit. A 25' length will do both doors; and a 10' section will do the baggage door. Easy to trim with a sharp knife; no glue required.

Chuck

Reinhard Metz

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 07:23 am:   

On the subject of the door seal, when my plane is parked in the hanger, I leave the baggage and main doors open, (with the main propped part-way to keep dust and dirt that fall from the hanger ceiling out). That way the door seals don't get a set and are under compression only when the plane is flown, which ensures a good seal all the time.

Reinhard

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   

i purchased one of my door gas shocks from velocity appear to be the same length and configuration as express. in fact i have one from express on one door and one from velocity on the other, work fine and appear to be the same.
rv76@aol.com

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:18 pm:   

i purchased one of my gas door shocks from velocity they are the same length and configuration as the express shocks and both doors work very well
rv76@aol.com

Allyn Roe (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 12:44 am:   

Jim, yours may be $uspa struts like some of the earlier Series 2000s got. We had them on 511 and looked at switching becuase of the price and availability. If they are Suspa it may be hard to find the right config with out moving your mount points.

Jim Butler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 06:36 am:   

All of the readily available gas springs are 14 1/2" center to center on the mounting, and of course mine is 14". The extra half inch would overstress the door, so I either had to find the correct gas spring, or modify the mounting. Modifying the mounting would require modifying the interior, so instead I contacted Suspa and they are building the correct springs for me. I now have a part number and will be able to get them easily in the future.

Thanks all for your help.

Jim

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 07:43 am:   

next time the gas charge becomes compromised just drill and tap for a schrader valve in the end and you can recharge at will
rv76@aol .com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: