I need a history lesson. . . Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » I need a history lesson. . . « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through December 12, 2005Charles King10 12-12-05  09:12 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris M. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 02:30 am:   

Charles -

I believe it was somewhere around 2002 or 2003 when the new wing became part of the fixed-gear kit (give or take a year). It started life as the wing for the new retract (RG) version, then migrated to the FT model. To my knowledge, there wasn't much published about it other than what was posted on the website or physically displayed at airshows.

If there are any specific questions you have in mind, let me know and I might be able to answer them. I worked with Dick Scherrer on the preliminary wing design prior to leaving EAC in 2001, so I might be able to provide some insight.

- Chris

Mark Rich
Username: Mrich

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 05:30 am:   

I have a CT with the new Aluminum gear, the old wing and a 300 hp engine. Larry Olsen and I had a discussion about gross weight when I filled out the airworthness documentation. He said the gross for the CT was 3200 with the old gear and that the Al gear had allowed the gross to increase to 3400 in the FT with the same wing but different tail (confirming what Chris said). While it should be possible to set the gross for the CT to 3400 given the wing and the gear, it would be hard to get 3400 into the CT and still keep the tail loaded.

I made one flight with about 3300 in my CT at takeoff. It was a challenge to get the weight far enough forward (most of the baggage was under the passengers feet and they complained for most of the trip). The plane was hard to fly because the pitch control was so light that it was hard to set trim. It wasn't a problem, still controllable, just not very comfortable.
By the time we landed we had burned off enough fuel that we were well below 3200.

LOUIE LACY
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 07:28 am:   

I agree with Mark. I loaded my CT Express with sand bags(didn't want to try with passengers) to bring weight up to 3200. I have an IO540 260HP and the steel gear. The aircraft flew but not well it was very sensitive in pitch and the climb rate was about 500FPM. I would not recommend doing this at this weight with the 260 HP engine

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

The new wing was fatter to allow for the retract system. This required the addition of a "belly-pan" to be added to the lower fuselage. This pan acted as a place to make wire-runs, and also actedas a skid-plate in the event of a 'gear-up' landing. The new wing also handled more fuel (140 gal?).

Bob (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   

What's left of the old website, that is to say as much as Matt and I had laying around our servers, is now available at www.wheelerexpress.com. I've also posted the Express 2000 version of the manual, as well as the CT chapters from the old manual. Don't know if any of that will help answer questions, but it's there just in case.

Bob

Gilles Ross (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

I am actively looking for close up pictures of the inside mechanism of the door. or parts as I do have the houtside housing and handle but I am missing the inside parts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gilles Ross (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 10:43 am:   

I am actively looking for close up pictures of the inside mechanism of the door. or parts as I do have the houtside housing and handle but I am missing the inside parts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

Gilles:
Check out Jerry Sjostrand's website. He has some pretty good pictures of the door mechanism. It is basically a copy of the Glasair sytem, and likely, if not available from Steve Furjesi, you could get parts still from Glasair.
http://www.sierratel.com/jerico/baggagedoorinfo.html

Jim

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   

Gilles. I have sent you a series of photographs directly to your email address, of the door handle assy which I photographed during the building of our aircraft. Hope they are of some help.
Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)

Exosphere Aircraft Company, Inc.
Username: Exosphere

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 03:59 pm:   

We have begun a merger with a company that will allow us to begin trading soon. We are trying to determine if the financials will be usable or if we have to take more complex approaches. All in all this is a very big step because we now once again have a clear path that should be effective. We also have begun unwinding a bad decision that was made early on thaqt has proven to be detrimental. It will be to all of our benefit to clean this up now as opposed to what would have been required if we had gone further down the relationship. I will provide more information as it becomes available. Feel free to e-mail me at barry@ict.net directly. I have been able to speak and meet with many of you yet I am aware that I have not been as reachable to some others. Barry Henthorn

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: