Joel Presley & Express N900EH Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Joel Presley & Express N900EH « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris M (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:54 am:   

For those who may not have heard, I'm saddened to report that Joel Presley was critically injured in the crash of N900EH (Bruce Hitchen's Express) this past Sunday afternoon on a test flight just south of Olympia. Joel is a local pilot here in Olympia, an avid homebuilder, prior EAC mechanic and all-around enjoyable guy.

Details are sketchy at this point, but witness reports apparently claim the left wing dipped prior to the plane going down, indicating a few possible scenarios. The impact was pretty severe.

Joel was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he is currently listed in critical condition. If you would, please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers this holiday season.

- Chris

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 04:50 am:   

Chris, sorry to hear about Joel. I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. Let us know how he is doing.
Ben

Gary H. Wolfelt
Username: Wolfelt

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 09:22 am:   

I second Ben's sentiments. I will keep my fingers crossed. This is the second time that this has happened recently. It seems to me that the wing dipped before landing when the ship in Canada crashed on landing too. I am starting to wonder if there is something about this ship that it doesn't like landing. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. GHW

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 09:24 am:   

Do we know if the ship had old or new wing airfoil?

Allyn Roe (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 09:41 am:   

The wing was an earlier generation on N900EH, as was N625J. According to our local paper, the accident was about a mile away from the Chehalis airport.

N625J stalled during an aborted landing and crashed off the runway in Canada.

Joel is a great guy and every time I've seen him around Washington, it is when he is flying Young Eagles in his RV.

Jim Butler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 09:51 am:   

I can't speak for any other airplane but mine, but as long as you land with the proper airspeed, it is a sweetheart. If you slow it too much, you will get a vertical sink rate going, just like any other high performance airplane.

Of course, I have no idea what happened to Joel. But I echo everyone else's sentiments about him being a great guy. He did the EAA Technical Counselor inspections on our airplane while we were building it.

Jim

Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 11:24 am:   

Hi folks,

The latest word I have is that he underwent surgery Tuesday morning, but I'm not sure for what purpose. He's still mostly unconscious. Keep your fingers crossed...

A local helicopter pilot flying overhead had landed and pulled Joel from the wreckage. According to John Klenke, who viewed some digital images of the debris, it was a miracle he (or anything) survived the impact. If I can get a copy of the images, I'll try and post them.

- Chris

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 01:38 pm:   

Add my prayers for Joel. He is a great guy who also did the EAA Tech Counselor inspections on my plane while we were building at OLM. Gave me a ride in his RV too. A very helpful nice man to know.

Gary

wayne (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 05:22 pm:   

I'm with JB, my plane lands beautifuly, or I'm on a very long lucky streak. Still riding on original tires and brakes at close to 400hrs. Did I tell you I went to Gander and St. Johns NF this summer. was a great trip in a great airplane.
So get building out there!!

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 09:53 pm:   

Just a quick update on Joel for whomever is interested...

He was recently transferred to a facility in his home town of Shelton where his recovery continues. His memory of the accident doesn't go past pre-flighting the aircraft, so he's not able to shed light on what actually happened - at least not yet. So far, so good. More info when it becomes known.

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable New Years.

- Chris

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:42 pm:   

I was saddened to hear the Joel had this accident, and join the list of those who have him in their prayers. He was my EAA tech advsior also. Does anyone have an address where we can send cards?

Doug Hoff

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: