Archive through October 22, 2000 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through October 22, 2000 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom R. Hutchison
Posted on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 08:43 pm:   

The following was posted for a KIS Cruiser builder, Bob Reed. He had asked me these questions and I couldn't help him. Perhaps someone else has the answers. Tom

There are two items on the Express I would be interested in getting more details from an existing builder. I have seen the Express with a center stick and would be interested to see some photos of the controls. I am redesigning my controls for a center stick and would be nterested in how they did it. Also, I have seen that the Express uses a neat clean door handle / latch system. Do they sell the door handles separately and could I get some details on them?

Bob Reed
RobertR237@aol.com

Bill Copeland
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 1999 - 03:21 pm:   

Bob:

The only center mounted stick version of the EXPRESS I am aware of was built by Jerry Sjostrand. He has a web page called the Express Builders Help page (see the web link on the factory web page) and can probably give you the information you need on that subject.
I would be very careful when buying any kit which has some work done on it. If you are not familiar with composite construction you would be well advised to find someone who is and get an expert opinion. You should check out the latest Builder Assist Program offerred by EXPRESS Aircraft. They have made many improvements over the original and as a result the kit is far easier and faster to build. We are in our 10th year of our project and while that is above average the early kits are a major challenge.
Our EXPRESS is an original Wheeler kit circa 1989. I know of no safety problems with the early kits - there are many flying today
The door hardware you refer to is furnished by Glassair. It is a very good system and relatively easy to install.
Where are you located?
If you have additional questions just post them and I will try to help or refer you to someone who can.

RobertReed
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 1999 - 07:56 pm:   

Bill,

Thank you for your response. I am located in Spring Texas. I am in my third year working on the KIS Cruiser. I have changed the seats out in my Cruiser and can not use the control stick through the seat. I would like a center stick with side controls for mixture and throttle. I also need some help finding a door latch system better than that offered for the KIS.

You are welcome to check out my progress on my web site. http://robertr237.virtualave.net/

Thanks again,

Bob Reed

Patrick
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 1999 - 09:38 pm:   

I'm very much interested in starting to build this kit after I sell my business, but I have some concerns and I'm wondering if any of your users have an answer:
1) I grew up on C-172s (common as ditchwater). How much of a change to go from the stick to yoke?
2) I'm Canadian, meaning that this thing might not even be recognized by our govt. Does anyone know?

I Appreciate any responses

Bill Copeland
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 09:59 am:   

Patrick:

You will find the transition from yoke to stick to be no problem. My guess is that you will like the stick much more than a yoke. The EXPRESS flies a lot like a C-182, only a lot faster!
The original prototype for the current Series 90 model was constructed in Canada by Mike Betts and called the "Auriga". As far as I know he had no unusual problems getting certification. That airplane is now the Company's No. 2 Demonstrater.

Gary Markwardt
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 05:57 pm:   

Patrick: I agree completely with Bill Copeland's comments re: yoke to stick transition. I too fly C-172s and the demo ride in the Express with the stick was no problem. In fact, I liked it better than the yoke. The Express controls have a very good feel much like a C-172 or 182. Take a demo ride but be prepared to write a check for the kit like I did! Good luck

Larry Hoppe
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 03:25 pm:   

Firewall Forward Directory:
We purchased an Auriga kit and have started on the firewall forward construction. I ran into a problem today and need advice. Am installing an IO-540 Lycoming. The cowling that came with the kit has the "rectangular" air intake openings. Placed the top half over the engine and it appears that this cowling is for a 4 cylinder engine, not a six. Is this the case or can six be stuffed in some way?
Also, do the new 2000's have factory produced induction ducting and filter housing included with the kit or does this have to be fabricated from scratch? Is the air intake on the cowling on the side or front or personnal discretion?

John Harlow
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 05:27 pm:   

Larry,
I also have an Auriga and yes the cowl is made for a 4 cyl so it must be extended about 4 inches to make it work. I chose to purchase a new cowl from Express with the round inlets and its sized for the LYC IO540. Inlet is at your discretion since most are different anyway. Can't speek for the new 2000 cowling but suspect its for a Cont 550 which is what is in the new demo.
Regards, John

jadej
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2000 - 02:29 am:   

Hi there from Australia!

My name is Darren Jones and I have become interested in building a four place kit aeroplane because I want an aircraft that is modern in design and uses modern construction methods.

Having found out about the express aircraft company I am impressed with I have found out to date. Whilst I am happy with everything to do with the airframe my only vice would be why are people still sticking with continental and lycoming engines. The way I see it these aircraft engines have remained basically unchanged since their inception in the 50's.

What I would like to know is if there are engines that could be fitted to this kit such as converted chevy 350's or American eagle or even the Dynacam engine if they can get one the right horsepower. I guess it just seems funny to me to build a state of the art aircraft and put an old fashioned motor in it. From research I've done converted auto engines especially with electronic engine management systems seem to be just as reliable and less costly to install and maintain.

Any comments on this would be much appreciated.

Regards

Darren Jones
Gunnedah, NSW Australia

Kevin Dennes
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2000 - 03:52 am:   

Darren,
Greetings from Bankstown Airport. I do not have an answer for you re the modern auto engine. What I do know is that if you are building here in OZ and want to be virtually unrestricted in flying, particularly if you want the aircraft in IFR or Night VMC, then it will be very difficult unless you use an approved engine and prop. I am currently building an Express 2000 at BK. would love to chat with you about this wonderful aircraft.
regards.
Kevin Dennes

Bill Copeland
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2000 - 08:21 pm:   

Comments on cowling(s):

We have installed an IO-540 in our example(CT) and ended up using the original Wheeler supplied cowl. We found that we had to cut about 5 inches off the back of the upper and lower sections because we are using a standard prop hub (non extended) and have fitted a Bonanza style spinner back plate on which the rear attach flange is extended forward instead of to the rear.
We constructed our induction scoop and alternate air door which makes the transition between the filter box and throttle servo. It wasn't easy, but if it was easy everyone would be doing it!
I do not know if the 2000 cowl system comes with the induction ducting, but I know that earlier ducting produced by Larry when he was doing his after market business would not work with the cowl set up we settled on. I can send you pictures of all this stuff if it will help.

Bill C.

LOUIE LACY
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 08:03 pm:   

Anyone

How much of the area around the fuel lines where they come into the cockpit do you fill in can the glass touch the lines without any problem also how do you make the cockpit as airtight as possible covering all the cut you have make in the fuselage sidewall
llacy@netease.net

jerry
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 09:58 pm:   

Hi Louie,
I was informed that fuel lines should never come in contact with fiber glass because of it's abrasiveness. There is a chance of "wear through" from rubbing or vibration. I either secured the lines with cloth and resin, or where there needed to be some movement, I put a piece of rubber or plastic hose around the tube before closing around it.

Regarding the holes at the wing root where the push-pull tubes and brake and fuel lines come through, (as well as any other area on the aircraft where the foam core is penetrated), I removed the foam back about 1/4 inch and filled the area with either a Qcell mixture or a milled fiber mixture. This was to tie the skins together again at those critical points. "All" areas where the foam has been exposed should either be filled or at least sealed with a coat of resin. The foam will absorb fuel, moisture and oils if left unsealed.

The openings at the wing root to the fuselage offer an area where air can vent from the airplane. I think that is necessary and has not created any problems for me. Fresh air cannot get in if there is no vent to the outside.

I will appreciate any comments from other builders regarding these statements.

Thanks and good luck again. Jerry Sjostrand

Werner Maag
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 04:20 am:   

Hi Express Friends,

slowly I come forward to the ventilation system and would like to know about your good or bad experience with the original 2 naca scoops and the connection to the hot air system (Switzerland can be cold when high up in the alps)
How do you regulate cold air, hot air, defrost?

What solutions work good with ceiling cold air nozzles?
Thanks for all inputs. Werner

LOUIE LACY
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 06:15 am:   

Anyone installing Matco wheels and brakes. My disc brake pads broke apart after about 1 hour of taxi time . The pads that came with these brakes are obviously junk. You should replace them before ever using
llacy@netease.net

Bill Copeland
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 10:40 pm:   

Louie:

Don't despair. In the dim, far reaches of my memory I seem to remember contacting Matco about a similar problem which happenned to one or two other EXPRESS builders and were informed that they had received a "bad batch" of pads from their supplier. They were more than willing to send replacements at that time. It seems to me that there was a color difference - like brown and gray, but I don't remember which ones were the "good" ones.
I suggest you contact Matco regarding your problem and I'll bet they will be willing to help you out.

Bill C

Brian McKinney
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 02:13 pm:   

Everyone,

Sorry this isn't a "building" question, but I'm wondering how many completed Express's will be at Oshkosh this year and on what days? I know a few of you who contribute to this forum already have flying Express's. I'd love to see as many as possible when I'm there to steal all of your good ideas...

By the way, at Sun-n-Fun, the Express test pilot (don't remember his name) mentioned something about the flying Express's getting together a day before Oshkosh in Rochestor, MN. Anybody know about this? I'm close by and would like to take in as much as possible...

Thanks,

Brian M.

llacy
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2000 - 08:09 pm:   

Insurance
I converted my builders insurance over to flight insurance today and was unpleasantly surprised by the premium quoted. I had the builders insurance with AVEMCO and converted it. Does anyone know of another company that might be more reasonable. I am considering no hull coverage Comments?
llacy@netease.net

Bob Gisburne (Gisburne)
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2000 - 08:41 pm:   

I unsuccessfully shopped around for other insurance two years ago. I have had builders insurance (2 years) and flying insurance (4+ years) with Avemco. My premium is $3,200 for $150K of hull and $1M of liability. The increase in 1998 was the worst from $2,200 to the now $3,200. There were a number of Glasair III accidents that year was what Avemco told me... thus the increase. As far as hull insurance, that's a personal decision. To complete the comparison, you must include piloting info... I have 1200 TT, 375 time in type, 500 retract, 100 turbine and an instrument rating. Hope this helps!Bob GisburneN4382A

jharlow
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2000 - 01:13 am:   

I did some shopping for insurance and tried to even use the leverage of multi plane discount since I also own a Cessna 182. The best I could come up with was to stay with AOPA for the Cessna and Avemco for the Express. I'm still hoping that some insurer will come to light by this thread that can serve us all better.
My Express if insured for $100k hull and 1 mil Liability. I realize that Bob's value of $150k is probably closer to the correct hull value but I did not include any dollars for labor in my number and our equipment list my not be equal.
As to flying exp I have around 1100 hrs TT with 45 in type and an Instrument rating.
The cost for the Express is $2400/yr
Hope this helps.
John N540JB jharlow@onearrow.net

Reinhard Metz
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2000 - 02:38 pm:   

My insurance is with AIG for 100K hull and $1M Liability. I have about 1000 hours, 270 in type, and an Instrument Rating. I pay $2400, and am also considering dropping hull coverage next year.

Reinhard Metz N49EX

llacy
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2000 - 06:23 pm:   

Tom
I am now flying and have a few bugs to work out. Left wing is heavy and I think this is a common problem as we all started with the left wing and thought more is better with the resin. Had a problem with #2 cylinder cht hotter than the others and found plugged injector. Another problem (I have an IO540 C4B5 ) when I turn off the boost pump after leaning in cruise the fuel flow decreases by about 5 gpm .I really don't understand why. Comments?

jharlow
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2000 - 08:28 pm:   

What type of engine instrumentation do you have?
In my case I have the VMS 1000 system. Although I have never leaned with the boost pump on, I do see about a 5 GPH (not min) decrease when I turn off the elect pump after climb out. the other day I had a problem in that my flow was high (2x) and press low after leaning and I felt I had a huge leak. This was a gremlin that has gone away for now, but the tech at Vision Microsystems stated that I need to recheck my grounds because if the ground was poor I could get a 2x reading.

llacy
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2000 - 07:00 am:   

John
I have a VM1000 also and got the same indication you did with pressure low and flow high. Did you check a grounding point and if so where did you check. Do you know how accurate the readings are from VM1000 have you checked rpm etc. separately? Lou
llacy@netease.net

Mike AuClair (Maucl1)
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 11:08 am:   

A little sidelight to the boost pump discussion. I have owned my Comanche 250 for ten years now and have over 700 hours behind the O-540 Lycoming. On several occasions I have had the engine quit after level off when turning off the boost pumps. I changed the engine driven pump twice before I found the problem.

It seems that the boost pumps will overpower the engine driven pump and cause the fuel in the engine pump to stagnate and overheat during the climb causing a vapor lock. When the boost pumps are turned off at level off the engine pump cannot move fuel to the carb.

Solution is to turn the boost pumps on just before takeoff and turn them off when passing about 1000 feet AGL. If you do this you will never see the 5 GPH drop.

I am still building the Express and should have the new tail closed out next month. No help from the Express factory I might add.