Archive through October 29, 2000 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Aileron rigging » Archive through October 29, 2000 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

geosync
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 05:49 pm:   

Can anyone offer advice on adjusting the push pull tube rod ends on the Ailerons? Which ones do you adjust to get the up 20 and down 9 degrees. And, How much travel do you want for the control sticks (how many degrees of travel)?

Steve Bussey

jharlow@ictransnet.com
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 06:24 pm:   

steve,
what exactly is your problem? If you set the length of the push pull tube correctly as called out in the Wheeler manual then it should be amatter of setting the ailerons even with the TE of the wing, then setting the dimensionfor the bellcrank from the spar,(I used a block of wood cut to the correct length). At this point you can determine the length of the tube for each aileron. Once the ailerons are set it's a matter of centering the stick in the cockpit by adjusting the tubes out to the wing transfer tube. The proper setting of the bellcrank where the ailerons hook up is what determines how much the up and down movement is. I found in actual use I had to adjust the aileron tube a little longer because they both tend to lift up during flight. If you want give me a call and if you would like I canfly up some day and give you a hand. My ph is 863-357-6754
John

geosync
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 05:13 am:   

The problem I have is getting the proper 20 degrees up while the other aileron gose down 10 degrees. I can set each side by itself, but when I connect the two sticks together, the up deflection is only about 10 to 12 degrees on either aileron.

I measured the stick angle, and found that the stick deflection left and right is not equal, which does not sound correct. I tried adjusting rod lengths, but seem to be chasing my tail.

I tried setting the bellcrank to neutral at 2.53 inches from the rib as called out in the manual, and adjusted rod lengths, but see that tail wagging in my face again!

I have a couple of other things to check, and will post here again soon.

thanks!

Steve

llacy
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 06:39 pm:   

Steve
Just to add my two cents worth if you ever need 10 degrees up or 20 down or whatever you are in such a fix in the air nothing will help Get them as close as possible and don't worry about it. You will never use full deflection anyway.
Lou

Bill Copeland (Cbros)
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:13 pm:   

Steve:

My advice is to obtain all the aileron control throw you can. (with the counter weights still inside the wing) We had a situation during our phase 1 test period where we had experienced a very unequal fuel burn which left one wing heavy. This normally would not present a problem, just an annoyance, but while out of the area of the airport a strong X wind came up and when we returned to the pattern the "heavy" wing was on the lee, or downwind side. We were required to apply full aileron control to counteract and ran out before coming level. Had to apply power and go around after testing one of the main gear legs.
My advice is to get all you can, because you never know.(The "we" is editorial.There was only one person aboard)

Bill C

Sven-Ake Eriksson (Sven)
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 01:33 pm:   

Steve
If I were you, I should start with the hookup at the control stick to torque tube. Adjust these push/pull tubes for a neutral position on the torque tube bellcrank just aft of main spar. Having done so you should be able to move control stick equally left/right. The trick to get the correct aileron movement is then a matter of adjusting both the long push pull tube aft of main spar and the short tube between aileron and bellcrank. If you need more aileron movement you should shorten the tube between aileron and bellcrank and lengthen the long push pull tube. To my knowledge the ailerons should be adjusted at +10 degrees up in the stick neutral position.Remember that the ailerons will be subject to an upward force when flying so take system "play" into your measures. The ten degree up is true on the CT version I do not know for series 90 or 2000. I have not done this adjustment on my CT but I have been dealing with the same problem on some other aircraft.

Sven Eriksson