Jack points Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Jack points « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jharlow
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 02:18 am:   

Can anyone tell me the best location on the wing to position a jack for lifting the airplane? I have always used the bottom of the gear but I'm now doing my first annual inspection and I want to suspend the gear to check for any slop in the attachment system. Also it would be nice to have a system in mind that would not require the removal of the pants to lift the plane.
I have thought about making a jack plate that would insert/screw into the tiedown eye area.
John

Jerry
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 09:41 am:   

John,
The best place to lift the Express is just inboard of the gear opening directly under the spar at rib "R". Use a 2x6 wood block with a rubber pad on it to protect the surface and keep it from slipping. You can use an automotive floor jack if it will lift high enough, or, I suggest that you borrow or fabricate hydraulic aircraft jacks. I have found hydaulic jack units at Harbor Frieght (import tools outlet) that are 24" high and work perfect if built into a 4 legged jack stand arrangements just like the aircraft jacks.

Of course, you can lift from the wheel area and then place a saw horse under the wing in the same spar area. I have done this on mine. Bob Gisburne had the jacks when I helped him in Arizona.

Good luck. Jerry Sjostrand

Bill Copeland
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 12:21 pm:   

John:

Jerry's suggestion(s) are right on. I can add that we have raised our entire AC using 2X12's, a padded 48X24 inch piece of 1/2 inch ply and a floor jack placed under the fuselage, directly under the spar carry through.
The bigger the floor jack - the better.

Bill C

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: