Express I nstrument Panel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Express I nstrument Panel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Frederiksen
Username: Davidf

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 09:20 pm:   

Hi guys
The builders have been very quite the last week or so. Does anyone have the latest factory instrument panel for sale.
David Frederiksen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   

David,
I built my own without much trouble. Basically I did:
1) Used a piece of 3/4 in plywood and some foam to make a male plug of the panel.
2) I did a thin layer of resin over the entire plug and covered with peel ply. After cure I sanded smooth and put on a lot of regual car wax.
3) Used various pieces of fiber glass, odd shapes left over and some loose weave (deck cloth I think it was) to cover the male plug and make a female mold. I bonded in some 2x2 pieces to act as supports for the next step.
4) Pop the plug out of the new mold. A rubber mallet helps. Clean up the mold, fix any pin holes, etc with bondo. Sand smooth and wax and wax some more.
5) Make your new panel using the mold. I did 2 large layers then smaller layers for added strength in various areas. I also did some foam stiffners on the back. I made the mold so I could form a 2in wide flange around the entire panel.

The entire process took me one weekend. It was not that hard to do and now I have a mold I can use over again if I ever want to re-do the panel, plus it's custom to the way I want the layout. Also instead of using very expenseive vinylester, I went to the local supplier and got some general purpose polyester resin.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: