Unexplained engine stoppage Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Unexplained engine stoppage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 04:59 am:   

I'm trying to get an insurance quote before I buy an Express. I haven't had much luck getting an underwriter interested. In my due diligence, I looked at all Express accidents and came upon this:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20060223X00224&ntsbno=DFW06LA071&akey= 1

The fact that there is no factory support is a major obstacle. I thought experimentals were not so dependant on factory support; wrong.

Ben (still hoping to join this elite group)

Allyn J. Roe
Username: Allynroe

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:11 am:   

Bob Sorrell can get insurance (liability only)

Bob Sorrell
avinsrep@telebyte.com
888-265-0844

Phil & Margie Hodge
Username: N410mp

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   

Ben -

I'm not sure what you are asking or posting, but since you titled it "unexplained engine stoppage" I'll assume you want more information on the 3 engine related incidents mentioned in the NTSB report.

The first time it stopped when I didn't want it to was pilot error - I accidently bumped the fuel pump swith to the high boost position on short final and the engine flooded and stopped. Since I was following what I had learned many moons ago as a student pilot I was high enough to dead stick it in with no problems.

The second engine stoppage has been well documented here on this site - I landed a "little" hard, broke the nose gear, and ground the propellor off on the runway.

The third report of an engine stoppage was after I sold her, and all I know is what is stated in the NTSB report. I have some pretty good guesses, but since the new owner has indicated he is considering suing me, I don't think I should speculate here.

I continue to love the Express, and had my situation been different I would still be a happy owner of one. The factory support has been unfortunate, to say the least, from the very beginning of this truly wonderful airplane. Good luck in your research, and maybe we'll all see you around the pattern some day.

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 05:08 pm:   

You might try contacting Bob Sorrel. He is very knowledgable about the Express and will be able to help you.

Sorrell, Bob
E-mail Address(es):
avinsrep@telebyte.com

Terry

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 07:01 pm:   

Thanks for letting us know about the situation, Phil. I saw the accident report a while back and thought it was odd that there was nothing mentioned about it anywhere. Now it makes sense. Good luck.

Back to insurance... Are other people still able to get liability insurance? What about not-in-motion coverage? Those are the only two that I plan on having since full coverage is just too expensive.

-Eric

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 04:42 am:   

Phil, I'm glad to see you are still on the board. I thought it was odd that Dora crashed and there was nothing mentioned about her. I was curious why AIG would not even quote a liability policy and thought the crash had something to do with it along with the sad loss of Steve.
I was told AIG would not write hull because there is no factory support and when I asked about liability only, I was told that there is more liability exposure than hull. I will keep trying to get this worked out.
Thanks to Allyn and Terry for the lead.
Thanks, Phil, for explaining the situation.
Ben (may be an Express owner in the spring.)

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

I have both hull and liability thru the EAA insurer, Falcon Insurance 1-866-647-4322 or www.falconinsurance.com. I believe you need to be an EAA member to participate ($40/yr) which is a good thing anyway. Falcon acts as an agent. The insurance is actually placed with Global Aerospace. I just renewed it in May. So either I am "grandfathered" or they are not worried about factory support. It is not cheap, however, although 1/2 of what Avemco quoted 3 yr. ago.

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:38 am:   

I am in the process of securing insurance, and the only thing Falcon could come up with for me (very low time pilot) was thru London Aviation Underwriters, with restrictions:
1) Need 25 hrs of dual instruction from an instructor with a minimum of 100hrs experience in an Express. (Not sure how to attain this)
2) The first 10 hrs. of flight would be required to be solo (not a problem).
The cost for this would be $4440/yr.
My other option is 'public liability'insurance thru Avemco which only covers damage to another's property and not the airplane or occupants. Requirement is 10 hrs. in type.
The cost for this would be $1200/yr.

doug shell
Username: Rv76

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 04:27 pm:   

i also have insurance through falcon, full coverage, about half the price i paid for velocity xlrg for same coverage. purchased insurance after factory closed, and had no problems, have renewed it once since orignal coverage, with no comment as to factory status. bob sorrel gave me a better quote but the factory closed before i needed the ins. so i ended up with falcon where i had velocity insured.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: