Log Books Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Log Books « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 01:44 pm:   

I found a really neat kitplane log software package from the aero-news.net site. Check out a free trial version at http://www.kitlog.com

I had written my own logging software application about a year ago, but this one has a lot of good features. I downloaded it and it is really easy to use!

On a building note, I just got my Skysports fuel probes and will start to install the right side this weekend. I've also leveled in my lower fuselage and am getting ready to start with the shear ties / seat supports. Can't wait to sit in it someday & make airplane noises!

Bill Copeland
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 03:10 pm:   

Brian:

I know as well as anyone how anxious we get to "make airplane noises". It's really good for the spirit.
Based on our experience(s) I want to caution you about prematurely getting to work installing the shear ties. I know of a number of examples where builders have gone ahead with the shear tie procedure only to find that when attempting to mate the wings the shear ties were in the wrong place. In fact, the first documentation issued by Wheeler was in error by about 3/4 of an inch. This required part of the shear tie to be removed and replaced - not a pretty picture.
Unless you are using the new Factory attach plates, make certain of your measurements, or better yet, wait until the wing connecting plates have been installed, cut the appropriate slots for the plates, insert the wing - then locate the shear ties.
Have fun!

Bill C

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 06:29 pm:   

Bill,

I was wondering about making a mistake like that. Although my wing attach plates are not on yet, the previous builder had already measured & cut the holes on the template for the procedure based on the location of the fore & aft wing shear webs. I spent 2-3 hours checking & rechecking these and drawing on the sides of my fuselage. I measured from the centers of the shear webs and realized that the short inboard prebonded high density shear webs on my left wing are off about 3/16" from the right ones. Taking that into consideration, it appears that my shear ties/seat supports will skew the 3/16" from left to right if the spar stays on the centerline of the carry-through.

So far I have only drawn lines on the the lower fuse & strung some lines across to look at it some more, so I haven't done anything damaging.

How does the new EAC hardware work? Is it an easier installation than using the old hardware? I can still make changes if it will save me time. (Can any new Express builders out there send me a picture or describe it?)

It's funny that you sent me the warning. I was just out in the garage looking at my new fuel probes and I kept looking at the lower fuselage and thinking "be patient & just finish the wings first"...

Thanks!

Brian

Phil & Margie Hodge (N410mp)
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 08:23 pm:   

Brian - Actually, this is a case where you can have your cake and eat it too. As soon as I levelled my fuselage (lo those many years ago!), I put a milk crate in it, sat there with a big grin on my face and made airplane noises. Still have the picture, too! You don't have to wait until the shear ties are in.

Phil

Bill Copeland
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 08:27 pm:   

Brian:

I have no doubt that many people are better at abstract measuring than I am, so I take the "hard" route to prove the fit before I cut.
So, to me, "finishing" the wings before attempting to cut holes in the fuse side and installing the shear ties means continuing the proceedures clear through the installation of the wing connecting plates, which in turn means you will have installed all the ribs with the appropriate flanges as well as the landing gear legs and flap drive or bearing (and the fuel stuff). Then the wings can be mated and the shear ties installed.
Jerry Sjostrand completed his wings this way and was pleased with the result.
In any event I don't think you need to be concerned with the small offset you described.

Bill C

gmemark
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 01:24 pm:   

Brian: I have lots of photos, but I'm not sure what you need. The shear webs fore & aft of the wing spar carrythru were located off the carrythru centerline. The carrythru was preinstalled in the bottom fuselage by Express in my kit. Sounds like your installation is different. I'll email you a photo separately since I've never quiet figured out how to add pictures properly here. Gary

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: