Broken Express Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Broken Express « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug Clancey
Username: Dclancey

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 04:54 pm:   

Any Idea whose this was?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AS S%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=130069462910

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 05:58 pm:   

This one matches.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20051216X01983&key=1

Given the crash description and the photos, I'd be surprised if it is even worth the effort to move it out of storage.

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 06:18 pm:   

Here's a link to a thread in the forum covering the crash:

http://www.express-builder.com/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?1/1123

Joel Pressly
Username: Jpressly

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 06:43 am:   

This was the aircraft that crashed me 11 Dec 2005. I would advise any bidder to look at the wreckage before buying to determine if anything is usable. I am not at liberty to discuss the cause of the crash due to pending court procedings, but careful examination of the wreckage will show the likely cause.

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 08:18 am:   

Joel,

It is good to know that you survived. Aside from the original postings on the list we did not know what your fate was.

I understand that you cannot talk about the cause(s). However, is there any information on things that owners/builders should look at or keep an eye on, that you could share?

Regards,

Matt

Joel Pressly

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 05:24 am:   

Although I can not specify what was found on investigation of the wreckage, I can strongly suggest that any control linkage be secured with cotter pinned hardware. Self locking hardware should not be trusted if the assembly can rotate the fastener. I will elaborate on the finding once the legal procedings have been completed.

Joel Pressly

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 05:24 am:   

Although I can not specify what was found on investigation of the wreckage, I can strongly suggest that any control linkage be secured with cotter pinned hardware. Self locking hardware should not be trusted if the assembly can rotate the fastener. I will elaborate on the finding once the legal procedings have been completed.

wayne norris
Username: Wayne_n

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 07:09 am:   

I hope you have re-cooped Joel. The FAA does require pinned hardware on any rotating bolts, good advice for homebuilders.

Through the aerobatic community, I have learned of many crashes do to controll jams caused by loose parts getting in to some place they don't belong, a screw,washer,nut... I have made a rule while building or working on the planes, that if a ANYTHING is dropped, screw,nut,washer... it is found before anything else is done. You do not want that small washer that rolled away to someday work it's way into blocking the elavator.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: