Exhaust systems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Exhaust systems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Jennett
Username: J6_aaa

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 05:26 am:   

Anyone know how I could lay my hands on exhaust/blueprint as supplied by Wheeler 1991 for IO360-C1E6.....was mild steel,2 centre tailpipes,one behind the other...? ? ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 07:55 am:   

If you are unsuccessful, I have the down-pipes for my old exhaust, which could be easily welded into a new exhaust, either locally or by a shop. I had a problem with the port-side exhaust pipe separating just below the junction of the header (happened three times; same joint; two separate systems). Anyway, here's a pic of the new exhaust system, which was made by Planexhaust in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I found a narrow-deck IO-540 3-into-1 exhaust manifold set, which lacked the final muffler/exit pipes. I bolted the back two cylinder downpipes up (the front ones would not fit as the narrow deck flange is rotated about 60 degrees compared to the wide deck ports which I have) and fashioned a template for the exhaust pipes using PVC, heavy cardboard rolled up into a tube for the angles, and a lot of electrical tape (an ugly, caveman approach, but it worked). Planexhaust returned what looked like a new system from ports to tips, complete with a spring-tensioned ball joint where the separation was occuring. Here's a pic of the new exhaust and the cowling mod to accomodate. All you'll need to do for these guys is fashion some sort of template out of PVC pipe or something else; they'll return you a 321 Stainless system. Mine fits like a glove, and the angles were perfect, despite my crude model. Let me know if you want the six stacks off my old system--they're only about 5 inches long, and I'll cut off the ugly, crude manifold the local welder made for me as it's heavy (and a bit embarassing).

IO-540 exhaust

Cowling Modification to cover pipes
Cowling Modification

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: