Ignition Systems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Ignition Systems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Walsh
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 08:53 am:   

Hello,
I'm looking into ignition systems right now and I'm wondering if anyone has experience on the system from Lightspeed Engineering or Unison or GAMI's Prism system? I'd like to do FADEC but I'm not sure if it's available yet. Comments appreciated.
Chris

Hans Georg Schmid (Hgschmid)
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 09:43 am:   

Hi Chris
I had UNISON's LASAR ignition on my O-320 when I flew around the world twice in 2000. Also I am unable to quantify the gain exactly, I assume an 8% gain either in power or fuel is reasonable. I recommend the system that worked flawlessly under hard conditions. For details see: www.millenniumflight.com. For additional information please contact UNISON's Otto Oppliger at +1 (904) 739-4310.
Hans Georg Schmid / Switzerland

Eric Holmberg
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 11:13 pm:   

Hi Chris,

I don't know what your time frame is on the ignition system, but I am starting to develop a FADEC (less prop control) on my own in my spare time. I can keep you posted on the effort, if you would like and am welcoming feedback and any engine control techniques / advice you may be able to provide.

The system is planned to have the following features:
ignition (lost spark or individual coil for each cylinder)
fuel injection with Lamda and/or temp sensor for mixture control

I am expecting my first set of development hardware in late December and will produce the first prototypes by June 2002. After that, the schedule depends upon test platforms.

-Eric

Chris Walsh
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2001 - 09:35 am:   

Thank you for the responses, folks!
FYI, I think I'm going to install the Lightspeed system as the plane should finish between Mar and April.
I talked with the people at Unison and they really didn't think that their system would do me much good as the plane is turbo'ed. The thing I really want from this is the faster starts and more complete combustion in the cylinders themselves.
I also talked with the people from GAMI (not ready yet) and the other company working with Lycoming (again, not ready).
Found some fairly troubling reports from a couple of folks on the FADEC system, something along the lines of this:
The system monitors each individual cylinder as it's own "engine" I.E., the system tries to get as much horsepower out of each jug as it can, irrespective of fuel flow etc. Because of this the system itself is supposedly causing bad issues with engines as well as propellers. FADEC is working on it but for now according to some folks that I talked to (very reputable people who do NOT sell ignition systems) it is not a good idea to use it. I don't know enoough about it my self but I think I'll wait.
-Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: