Speed Brakes again Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Speed Brakes again « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   

I've looked through the archives, but I'd like to open the topic again now that there are more planes with more flight hours.

What are your thoughts / suggestion on putting in a set of speed brakes? I wonder if it is worth the trouble.

James Butler
Username: Jim_butler

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 05:47 pm:   

I have speed brakes on my Express. For flights in the flatlands, I almost never use them. For flights in areas like Salt Lake City and Tucson, they come in very handy. I have used them here in the flatlands when there is a lot of thermal turbulence and I want to stay high and above it as long as I can, then descend at the last minute without building up a lot of speed.

All in all, I am happy I have them.

Jim

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 06:30 pm:   

I would venture that those who have them will say they are great, and those who don't will say they are un-necessary.

I don't have them and have never wished I had them. Yes, it is a slick plane, and you need to think ahead for decents, but it's easy. And I do fly some IFR including in the Chicago area, and have never had a problem bringing the plane down quick enough.

In my mind, its one more thing that can fail and represents weight that you carry around forever and use very rarely.

Reinhard Metz
n49ex

Michael Farley
Username: Mikefarley

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 07:07 pm:   

I'd have to agree with Reinhard on this one. You're adding weight and another failure item for something that you'll very rarely ever use.

I do a lot of flying and instructing in a late model Cessna 310-R, which is a pretty quick airplane. It does not have speed brakes and doesn't need them. All you have to do is remember that you're flying a fast airplane and need to think ahead a little more when planning decents.

In the end though...it's your choice. Good luck!

James Butler
Username: Jim_butler

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   

Oddly enough, the only time mine has failed is when Reinhard was riding with me. Go figure. LOL

Jim

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   

I also have to agree with Mr Metz. I have flown seven different Expresse. Three S-90 one S-2000 and Three CT and only one had the speed brakes. The S-2000. I found that I never used it. and I fly out of a airport with hills all around it. So my throughts are if the wings are closed out then it not worth the trouble.

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:18 am:   

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm not one to hug the trees, I like to get up high and go. My concern is managing decents. The wings are open so I can go either way. From what I read I think the speed braks fall into the "nice if you have them" cagetory, but not an issue if you dont.

Charles Wood
Username: Cwood

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 09:20 am:   

Joe; I built the mounts into to wings, and ran wires, then just made covers for the top opening. Then if you decide you want them later, it is an easy task to install them later.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: