Archive through November 29, 2001 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through November 29, 2001 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick Spriggle (Rspriggle)
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 06:39 pm:   

Hello everyone,

I'm a new Express builder and just picked up an 89 Wheeler lower fuselage and wing kit plus an additional set of 1990 wings. The original wings are partly finished with one closed and I don't have logs or pictures, so I would like to use the newer wings so I know how they are constructed. Only problem I see is the newer wings are distinctly different from the older ones, especially the rib and aileron torque tube locations.

Anybody care to comment on this? The newer wing is standing up against the wall and older one on the floor.

wingpic.jpeg

I'm also in need of quite a few parts, control system in particular. If anyone has any spares around or has upgraded to newer systems let me know what you have.

Thanks,
Rick

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 07:29 pm:   

Fuel vapor return line questions:

1. How far out should the vapor return line go if I am using the two tank configuration in the wings? (I converted mine from a four to a two tank.) The original plans have it go out to the second bay. I'm wondering if I need to go out further since all bays will be used. (Newer Express builders should have this information...)

2. Since I converted to the two tank setup, I have a spare fitting on my fuel pickup plate for the line that used to go to the outboard tanks. Any reason I can't use this port for my vapor return line connection? I can then route the line inside the tank to the correct fuel bay.

Thanks,
Brian

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 07:45 pm:   

Brian,
On my Wings we installed the Vapor/fuel return line extending to the top of the second bay from the inboard. I can't think of a reason you would need to go any further outboard.

Tom

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 07:54 pm:   

Brian,

I think using the second port on your fuel pickup plate for the return would be fine. If you install a return line you have the option of either a Continental or Lycoming engine.

One cool inovation Larry and Co. has come up with is the "fuel plate" on the bottom wing skin. All new Expresses have a 6 x 12 inch (I am guessing at the dimensions since am not at the shop) removeable aluminum inspection plate under the fuel pickup. The plate also has the hole for mounting the fuel drain on it. If need be, you can remove the plate to get at the pickup screen or clean out crap that has accumulated at the bottom of the tank. I can provide pics if you are interested.

Tom

Chris Walsh
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 08:45 am:   

To All,
First, I'd like to take a minute to thank all of you who took the time to talk with me about the Express RG2000 we're building. All of you folks were very generous with your comments and were just friendly. My wife and I appreciate it.
We're doing some things on our plane that maybe some of you will find interesting:
-Lycoming TIO-540 AE2A "Victor" Black Edition Engine. (Exact same engine that goes in Malibu-just with the bearing troubles starightened out.)
-Blue Mountain Aviation EFIS, Autopilot, including HSI, Flight Director and LOTS of other neat stuff.(Garmin 530,430 and Echoflight FL270 for Nexrad weather from satellites!)
-Northcoast Aviation "Thermawing" deicing system.
-115 Cubic inch built in oxy system.
Engine should arrive this week coming, and WE are excited !!!!!
Chris Walsh
Express N363CW

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2001 - 05:35 pm:   

I had a request to post some pictures of the fuel plate that is now installed on all new factory Express's. The plate size is 6" x 9" and about 1/4" thick aluminum. The flange has rivnuts that are sealed with pro-seal to receive the plate attachment screws. Feel free to e-mail if anyone needs more details.
--------------------------------
Fuel Plate from side

Fuel Plate and opening looking down

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 03:24 pm:   

Tom,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the new fuel plate. I was going to ask if you could post them but looks like somebody, probably Brian, beat me to it.

One step further with this fuel plate - I've decided to use my set of wings that was made for fixed gear, not the retractables (see posting above). These wings have the dual tank configuration in them and one wing is already closed. I was wondering what anybody thought of strategically placing two of the new fuel plates at each wing, 1. To change the finger strainers that are probably rusty from the wings being in storage, 2. To inspect the construction inside the wing, and 3. Could I get through the 6x9 opening to cut the tank divider into a baffle and make a single tank using the second tank's line as the fuel injection return? I would rather not have the complexity or added expense of the dual tanks because that makes four of everything. Then again my back, bladder, or wallet probably couldn't take 90 gal of avgas anyway so I could just not use the outer tanks. I'll have to inspect it closer when I get the RG wings out and the FT wings into my shop.

Rick

John Hobson
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 04:20 pm:   

Rick,
With respect to the fuel return, have you thought about using a header tank for your return lines? I have installed one in the left wing root attached to most inboard rib. My Express has not flown yet so I don't know how well this will work. I copied the idea from the Maule configuration for the IO360 Continental, which I am using. It requires no valves in the return. The header tank is connected down stream of the tank selector valve so that it is connected to whichever tank is selected. The header tank is then vented into the outboard end of the aux tank.
I also connected the two main tanks together and the two aux tanks together so I only have a two position selector and a separate shutoff valve close to the firewall.

Bill Copeland
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 06:14 pm:   

John:

I just read your post re: plumbing the inboard tanks together and the outboards together.
Based on our experience here at CBROS you may want to rethink that plan.
We also thought plumbing the tanks together as you have, would be simple and practical.
Turns out, in our case anyway, that we could not get the tanks to burn off evenly. We had installed check valves in each tank line to avoid the possibility of fuel from one side draining to the other, especially when parked on a less than level ramp, eventually overflowing the lower tank.
We messed with the venting system to try to solve the problem without success. Never have figured out exactly why we couldn't get an even burn, but our best guess is that once we started drawing fuel from one tank the check valve on that side would not unload from the diferential head pressure - but that's only a guess.
We finally bought two Andair, two position valves and plumbed one to the tanks on the right side and the other to the tanks on the left. We are now able to select any two tanks and are comfortable with the result.
I understand that Andair is producing a "five way" valve which could be another alternative. While we found the Andair valves to be pricey, they are of excellent quality.
Check the EXPRESS Link newsletter No. 24 on page 3 for more discussion on this subject.

Bill C

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 04:10 am:   

Bill and John - Thanks for the responses on the fuel tank issues. This is a new project for me that I just picked up about a month ago and I wasn't even planning on building an Express when I found this project. Therefore I have not really considered anything and could ask thousands of questions on this list if I wanted to. I figured I would start with the fuel system when I get this other set of wings to my house.

I guess it is probably best at this point to leave the aux tank configuration alone since one wing is already closed and the other is almost ready to be closed. My only problem now would be how to retrofit a pressure return line(s) to the closed wing.

Bill - Did you just connect your left and right Andair fuel valves with a tee fitting? I thought of using two valves but one for outer tanks and one for inner tanks. Never thought of a L + R. What engine are you using and what kind of flight times do you usually get? If I could get about 3.5 - 4 hrs endurance on just the inner tanks I would seriously consider not plumbing the outers to keep things simple. Also, what (and where) is the Express Link newsletter?

Thanks,
Rick