Winglets Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Winglets « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Walsh
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 04:46 pm:   

Hi
Does anyone know where I can find out more about winglets for my RG2000? I looked on the web and all I could find was stuff that goes on jets (OK, I DO want to put a jet on my express..... but....)
Any ideas folks?
Chris

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 04:56 pm:   

Since winglets are an option on the Lancair IV you might look that direction. Try searching for "winglets" on the Lancair mailing list at: http://members.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html to read some of the discussion thats taken place on the Lancair list.

Tom

Wayne Norris
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 05:54 pm:   

Lancair uses them to improve yaw stability. As far as performance goes, from what I have read over the years, if you make them exacting to the Express wing the best you can gain is about 2 %, exspect an increase in the T.O. roll. Must be a "cool" factor. Wayne Norris

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 11:06 pm:   

Winglets will do nothing for your RG other than add to the asthetic looks Chris. Lancair uses them to increase the IV's effective wing area, with no real benefit in aspect ratio, induced drag or increased speed. With only 98 sq ft of wing, the L-IV can use all the extra area it can get, but it won't do you any good on your Express. Spend your time and money in other places.

Chris Walsh
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 03:57 pm:   

Thank you for your responses. Maybe they're not the thing for my plane. I spoke with the guy who bought my Bonanza and he flies the big ones (747) and he said that they make a dramatic difference in how that plane flies. Obviously a different animal, but airplane all the same.
Since I don't want to increase the takeoff roll, and according to "anonymous" I need to "spend my time and money in other places", maybe I will.
In any event, thanks for your two cents!
Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: