Seat foam Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Seat foam « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wayne norris
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 06:48 pm:   

I would like some input on seat foam. I would like to use a layer of temperfoam over some dense foam rubber. The temper foam people are trying to sell me on going with ALL temperfoam. I set on such a seat and it seems to hard/firm, although comfortable. But I would like something that is softer. What are you using and are you happy? Thanks, Wayne

Phil & Margie Hodge (N410mp)
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 06:59 pm:   

We have found that the folks at Oregon Aero are the most expensive, and the best. They have furnished cushions for us in other applications, as well as our Express, and we've always felt we got what we paid for. They can make the seat as soft or hard as you want. Note that cold Temperfoam is VERY hard, but that it softens rapidly after you sit on it.

Bill Copeland
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 10:28 pm:   

Actually I think there are at least three different densities of temperfoam so that you can treat your butt any way you like.
We also had our front seats done by Oregon Aero. Expensive, you can say that again, but well done.
Since we have two different sizes of pilots we had the front seat "cushions" of two different thicknesses upholstered separatly from the seat "pan" which was also covered by itself. The short pilot uses the thicker "cushion".
...but we never point that out to him.

Bill C

Jerry Sjostrand
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 09:32 pm:   

Fellow builders:
I have entered pictures and information regarding the rework of my Express seats on my web page.

www.sierratel.com/jerico

Jerry

Rick Spriggle (Rspriggle)
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 11:43 am:   

Since EAC is in no hurry whatsoever to send me my parts order, I will be looking for something to do real soon and was thinking of starting the seats. Continuing Jerry's post from above, are most using the Express supplied seats and happy with them? I know of some others using car seats and I was looking really hard at the buckets in my 98 Camaro thinking how nice it would be to have a set of them in my plane.

Just curious what others are doing before I do a lot of work for nuthin'.

Rick

Kevin Dennes (Kdennes)
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 04:38 pm:   

Rick.
What a good question! I have made up the frames of my seats but have not commenced any upholstery. I am also looking to hinging whatever seats go in. Soooo I look forward to answers on this subject too.
Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)

Jim Ward (Jehward)
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 08:25 am:   

Rick and Kevin:
Two items that I wanted to accomplish was to have my seats adjustable front to back, and also to have the seat-back tiltable(folding as well). I have installed automotive seat-rails to accomplish the front to back (deviated from the rail support that Express calls for - and just put in a front and back floor support) Make sure to keep them high enough to clear the stick controls.
Then I measured a variety of sports car seats. I found that Mazda Miata seats are comfortable, and narrow enough to fit. To fit the front, I modified the metal pan that makes up the base(cut out all of the front metal pan, but left the mounting points intact), then mounted the seat on a square of 2foam2 (1/4")with the cutout for the stick. I reinforced the 2foam2 to add some rgidity, and mounted the base to the slide rails. Works pretty well. Be careful not to gain too much height with all of this, because these are high-backed seats. Shawn Kelley has also done the same, and has room for a center console (I haven't gotten that far yet). There is also a web address on how to re-upholster the Miata seats yourself. I plan to use the seats 'as-is' for the rear seats. The weight of the seats (without final foam base) is about 20# each (roughly). Let me know if I can provide additional info. I'll check to see if I have any electronic pic's that could be posted.
Jim

Gary Markwardt
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:42 am:   

Keep in mind that headroom will be an issue if the seats are too thick. I used the Express seat frames & tracks with 2" of foam in the seat cushion & the headroom is minimal. I am 6'0" & find headroom marginally OK. My flying buddy is 6'2". He needs to scoot down in the seat a bit to clear the roof/door comfortably. The Express seat design uses electric motors for fore/aft adjustment & has a flip seat hinge option, which I used on the passenger seat. Seat back angle is not adjustable. The rear of my seat track is tight to the floor & the incline is 15 degrees rear to front. One could get more headroom by increasing that angle, i.e., tipping the seat more rearward. However, that moves the rearmost seating position forward which I didn't want to do. My 2 cents worth.

Wayne Norris
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 08:21 am:   

I made my front right seat back so it will fold fwd. I just cut the seat back off, made some .080 T6 scissors that pivit on a -3 bolt. If you can tell me how to get pix onto this posting I will be glad to show you. Also I made up some nice engine baffling for IO 540 wide deck, if anyone needs templets I can save you a days work.

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 09:35 am:   

Wayne,

I would be interested in seeing your seat hinge pictures. To up load an image here. Reduce the image to about 320x200 pixels (saves space and cuts down display time for those with slow connections). Make sure the file name has an extension of ***.jpeg (for some reason ***.jpg doesn't seem to work).

Use the following tag: "\image{Your Text description}" (without the quotes) in the message (be sure to use the "curley braces" { }. When you post the message, your browser will ask for you to browse your local hard drive for the image location. And Volia, you have a picture in your post. See the topic "Formatting" under the Documentation heading on the menu on the right of this screen for more information or see: http://www.express-builder.com/forum/board-formatting.html#images

Hope this helps.

Tom

Bill Copeland
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 12:11 pm:   

Wayne/Tom:

Check out the articles on folding seats in Express Link, issues 18 and 19. Shawn Kelly picked up some seat hinges from Velocity that are well made and will fit your original Express seat frames.

Wayne Norris
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 06:21 am:   

my folding seats

Wayne
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 06:29 am:   

seat folded

Wayne Norris
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 06:40 am:   

I sandwiched the sides with .080 T6, cut out the foam on the lower sec. installed G10 for the bolt to rotate in. Cut out a V trough on the seat back edges that come together, soak with resin and fill with milfiber/resin. This will keep them from mashing apart. Be careful riviting that you do not smash the 2core2. I have found an easy way to install hard points in 2core2. Use a 1/4" bit to drill out the foam and slide in a 1/4" square hardwood dowel. or even 2 popsicle sticks along with some milfiber mix.

Kevin Dennes (Kdennes)
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 03:27 pm:   

Bill.
You mention checking in "Express Link". I have not used that site b4. What is the address where I can find it please.
Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)

Bill Copeland
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 06:16 pm:   

Kevin:
The EXPRESS Link is not a web site it is a newsletter dealing exclusively with EXPRESS construction which I have been publishing for the past 10 years. There are now 26 issues altogether.
If you are interested in subscribing contact me off the board at: bnbent@pacbell.net.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: