Archive through July 11, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Landing Gear » Archive through July 11, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 07:17 am:   

Since my plane is an older CT, I have the full height tower, with a notch cut out of the back for the upper half, per the older CT instructions. My radios are on a slanted panel and miss the tower to the right. While I appreciate the desire to increase room for radios in the center position, the tower or something like it is convenient. I have a number of items mounted on or in it, and some structure would be required for them in any case. They include the vacuum air filter and regulator, voltage regulator, radio fan, autopilot computer, and VMI display computer.

Mark Rich
Username: Mrich

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:28 pm:   

Having recently experienced an "abrupt" landing (let's just say my short field technique needs some work), I inspected the left side gear (aluminum) and found the forward pin sheared off between the bracket and landing gear clamp. While I wouldn't characterize removing the gear and replacing the pins and bushings as "fun", the good news is the airplane appears to have suffered no major damage. No delamination or bad joints on Rib R and no damage to the brackets or clamp.

When I first inspected the gear, the sheared pin wasn't evident. I made three TO and landings with the broken pin before a "soft feeling" in the steering caused me to jack up the wing to unload the gear. I think this illustrates the quality and safety of the gear design but I'm going to make a habit of periodically inspecting the pins with the weight off the wheels in the future.

Jeff Dingbaum
Username: Aviators

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 02:23 pm:   

Ok, I got my 4 landing gear pins from EAMF today.
They're nice, but natural metal. Were they powdercoated when you got them from Express? I'm debating on powdercoating or using yellow zinc chromate that I already have.

Jeff

Ted Gaston
Username: Ted_gaston

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 03:34 pm:   

Whatever you put on them will just get scraped off when you drive them in. Preserve them with LPS1 Greasless Lubricant. They will install easier and it won't attack the Vinyl Ester.

Jeff Dingbaum
Username: Aviators

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 06:47 pm:   

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't know what to use to keep them from
rusting, so I was going to default to zinc chromate. Think that I'll take your suggestion.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 04:18 pm:   

To Tom Wayde:
Tom, we had a reject top wing skin and were able to use it for testing our installation and fit up. We have some pictures and will find them and email them to you if you want. Call me at 804 457-9135 Jim Lewis

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 06:35 pm:   

Aluminum Landing Gear
On the landing gear brackets, there are (3)AN7-14 bolts (each leg) that compress the landing gear leg within the pinned bracket. I'd like to secure these bolts with safety wire, or a half-nut. The bolts need to have a full thread (up to the bolt head). Spruce does not carry these.
Does anyone know where to get them, or have an alternate method to secure them?
Jim

application/pdfGear Leg Bolts
Procedure%209.040%20[Main%20Gear%20Installation].pdf (169.4 k)

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:57 pm:   

General Aircraft Hardware:
http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/default.asp

Bolts pdf:
http://www.gen-aircraft-bolts.com/images/pdf/anbolt.pdf

Jim

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   

Or you can use Grade 8 industrial bolts and drill the heads for wire tieing. They have threads (fine thread) up to the head.
Jerry

Steve Johnston
Username: Steve_johnston

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:44 am:   

I currently have steel landing gear on my Express and I'm interested in purchasing the aluminum gear for the purposes of increasing the ground clearance. Who currently has the aluminum set up from Hammerhead Aviation? Grove Aviation is currently selling the landing gear. Explain the advantages or dis-advantages of the aluminum set up? Also, do I need to change the front landing set up for purposes of avoiding a prop strike. Need help.
Steve