Retract Retro Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Retract Retro « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   

I have found a used set of Mooney landing gear (old style, early 60's)...I think it is the manual bar type...I know anything is possible with enough work...but...what do you guys think of trying to mount this gear on a set of wings that has yet to be built?

Maybe just vote on a category...

1. Not too tough if engineered from the beginning of wing construction....

2. Too much work....

3. You are crazy!

All input welcomed!

Al Kittleson

Kevin Dennes
Username: Kdennes

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 08:48 pm:   

Al, my impression is that I do not think it would work. I am fairly sure that the extension of Mooney legs would be too short to hold the Express high enough to allow normal rotation on take-off. It is a good few years since I flew those early Mooneys but I am almost certain that the Mooney was nowhere near as high above the ground as is the Express.

Therefore my vote would probably constitute a little of 1, 2 and maybe even a little of 3.

If you decide to try it, then I wish you every success.

Regards.

Kevn (from 'Downunder')

Chaz King
Username: Chazking

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 06:15 am:   

Al,

Select 4. Pls send me a check for $7,500 and throw the gear away! / "The"

Gary H. Wolfelt
Username: Wolfelt

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 05:30 am:   

Count me in for a 2 + 3. Just ask the guys that have been trying to make their "Express" RG's work. Just a few have actually made it to the finish line. If you really want an RG, I would contact Darrell Peterson. He has been through the whole redevlopment process since Larry died. He has THOUSANDS of R&D dollars in this project. Why not benefit from his efforts? Call him at 360-864-6271. GHW

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 07:45 am:   

Thanks Guys.
I'm new to the airplane and really appreciate your comments. Having another set of wings available that have not been started got me thinking about the possiblities down the road...I'll stick with the FG...at least until I finish the thousand other things I need to do.

Al

Joel Pressly
Username: Jpressly

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 07:46 am:   

Hi Al,

FWIW, the Mooney gear would not have the height required by the Express. I would also refer you to Darrell, he has a working model suited for the Express, and would be best qualified to explain the pitfalls and benefits of RG.

Michael Farley
Username: Mikefarley

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   

Greetings Al,

Just as Joel said, the Mooney did not sit very high (not enough for the Express), so unfortunately that system wouldn't work. If you're dead set on an RG, Darrell's RG is now flying and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help.

I can't help but ask, however, if an RG is really that important. Most RG systems mean heavier empty weights, more complexity, higher insurance rates and maintenance costs, etc. for only a small increase in performance. The people at Cirrus and Lanciar (now Cessna) claim that's why their SR20/SR22/Lancair350/400 series are all built with fixed gear.

Don't get me wrong though...if your heart's set on it, go for it!!!

Darrell M Peterson
Username: Darrell

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 07:56 pm:   

The Express 2000-RG is now flying ,The gear is working perfectly. We have now put on the gear doors and we will fly again when this weather here will permit. The landing gear is much higher than the Mooney,and I do not think tha it would ever work. Next week we are going to get some pictures and post them.

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 08:05 pm:   

Fantastic! Derrel can't wait to see them and your plane in real life. Maybe a Arlington.

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   

Al:
If memory serves me correctly, there was an Express body, mated with Mooney wings with the retract gear. It was based out here in CA somewhere because I remember seeing it on a few occasions. If aesthetics mean anything to you, I'd stick with either the fixed gear or the Express retract gear.
I haven't seen this plane in awhile - last I saw - it had been for sale. I guess it flew, but not sure how well. It did sit very low to the ground.
I'd share the previous sentiment, and figure there are better uses for those wings.

Jim

David Packwood
Username: Packwood

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 07:01 am:   

My Express Has Direct Ignition and I am looking for anyone with information about I do remember seeing one other Express with the same .David

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 06:52 pm:   

what do you neen by Direct Ignition. and back to the first line. 4 all of the above.

Bill Page
Username: Bluemoon

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 08:33 pm:   

The Express with the Mooney wings was last seen at Palomar Airport, near San Diego, as reported by Laslo Zamolyi, who was in San Diego last week.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: