Auriga pitch sensitive w/IO-360 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Auriga pitch sensitive w/IO-360 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 09:37 am:   

Does anyone find their Auriga pitch sensitive? Do you feel it is pitch sensitive to the point where there is danger of pilot induced oscillations? How about with the Cont. 360? Is it possible to have a too far aft CG because of an over built tail and the lighter engine?
Thanks!
Ben

Sven-Ake Eriksson
Username: Sven

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   

Hi
Pitch sensitivity can be negatively affected if elevator is overbalanced. Check that elevator counterweight is not slightly too heavy. If it is it will act as a "servo" that lightens the control forces when under g-loads.

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 08:23 pm:   

I have flown all types of tails. CT, S-90, S-2000, What I have found is that they are all very stable when working with trim. Remeber keep up on the trim. But at slower speeds the CT with bigger engines seem to need more tail and higher speeds to keep the nose up. I have not flown a Auriga-S90 tail with a small engine although if the CG is right then the bigger tail is more stable. Remeber keepping the CG in limits makes a plane stable in picth.
Shawn

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 04:09 pm:   

Ben,
I certainly am a neophyte to the airplane, but stability issues are usually pretty easy to figure out on proven airplanes like the Express...I'm wondering about your question regarding an aft CG and it's possible effect...This should be no question on your airplane if the W&B is correct. I would recheck it and verify. Most of the time, a correctly made four seater is very difficult to get an aft CG while flight testing, you should have no baggage or aft occupants.

Have you checked elevator cable tensions?

If you set up a low cruise speed and trim it hands off, what does it do if you pull the stick back slightly and then not touch it and let it go through a few ocillations?

Even though a plane is pitch "sensitive", it should not be majorly prone to PIOs unless there are other issues...make sure of the cable tenion.

Al Kittleson

Ben Baltrusaitis

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   

Thanks everyone!
Your ideas are being checked. I don't own the plane yet. The present owner was telling me what it was doing and was concerned that it was pitch sensitive. Some work was done on the elevator to reduce the area in front of the hinge and it was static balanced.
He doesn't have the weight and balance figures yet and we don't have the specs for cg. Does anyone have the W&B specs or a link to it?
Thanks!
Ben

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 05:03 am:   

Ben, I not sure I have all of this correct. Are you saying that the plane has flown and he does NOT have weight and balance data on the airframe?

Sven-Ake Eriksson
Username: Sven

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   

I want to get the feedback on this problem when you sort it out. This is to spread this type of info for the benefit of those encountering similar trouble in the future.

Ben Baltrusaitis

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 09:14 am:   

Al, the plane is on its third owner and is still in phase 1 testing. I understand there was a weight and balance done, but that was more than 5 years ago.
Ben

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: