Gear retro Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Gear retro « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:13 am:   

I'm well underway in a rebuid of wings on the original wing design. I have removed the fiberglass gear and have a set of
Grove aluminum gear. One area I have beefed up is the inboard rib and landing gear attach point. It appears that once the wing is attached to the plane, maintenance/removal of the gear leg attachment at this rib will be difficult. What experience have you folks had in this area? Is it any easier to install the bolts in the bulkhead first and slide on the attach plate, or put the nuts facing the fuselage? Is there a good way to remove the large bolt from the two attach mounts and remove the gear in this manner. There doesn't seem to be much space to work in.

I'm considering finishing all the gear work on the wing before I mount it and hope that I don't have to take it off again...!

Does anyone have any input on streamlining the AL gear? It appears about 18" of the leg will be exposed when I make the wing leg fairing and put on the wheel pants. I'm wondering if it is worth the work to make a leg fairing or just go with the gear shape in the breeze...Ideas?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cyrus Ostowari
Username: Ostowari

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 04:14 pm:   

It is far easier to have all the brackcetry in position before sliding the gear leg in. The only problem is that the end attachmnet bracket that is mounted on the last inborad rib is difiicult to get through. This you will have to overcome after the legs are slid in and access through the inspection cover to mount the end bracket. Also you will have difficulty if you ordered you leg with the brake line s already drilled. The brass fitting for the flexible brake line will have to be installed after the gear is in place. You have to be a bit of a contortionist to do this.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: