N89TF First Flight Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » N89TF First Flight « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Farley
Username: Glen_farley

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 09:51 am:   

Nearly 19 years after the receipt of kit #1, Express N89TF took to the skies of Central Ohio on it’s maiden flight June 1st.

Delayed “slightly” by the outstanding HS and college softball career of a wonderful daughter, and by the “TBDBITL” and other accomplishments of an unbelievable son, (I would not have had it any other way) the plane flew “hands-off”. Other than higher than normal oil temp readings the flight was flawless. While we have much left to do, the first flight was proof that if you don’t give up, good things will eventually happen.

Many of the folks who helped us along the way come to mind. Most are still with us, but some are gone. I go “way back” to the first narrow body demonstrator and have witnessed the entire evolution of the Express. Ken and Gail Wheeler with the original concept, design and factory. Jim Warner and Ed Bernard with their early success and documentation efforts. Jerry Sjostrand, a driving force in keeping the Express “alive and well” for over a decade. Russ Porterfield. Lou Lacy, who worked with me on the factory demonstrator. The Copeland’s whose newsletters and support were a vital source of inspiration. Mike Nackerman, my building buddy in the early years. Nate Mathieson, an early Auriga builder. Larry Olsen, with all of his knowledge and kindness. Terry Sack, a friend and builder who was based at our local airport. Rich Humphreys a local RV builder who took us under his wing and showed me how to work metal (there is a lot of metal in an Express!). Tom Hutchinson, who has kept this very valuable website up and running. These people and many others selflessly shared their time, knowledge, and talents.

More recently Jim Butler, Darrell Peterson, Joel Presley, and especially Reinhard Metz who was brave enough to allow us to fly his beautiful Express N49EX (ours flew just like yours Reinhard). Like the others, he believes strongly in helping your fellow builder, or as the famous Ohio State football coach Woody Hayes put it, “Pay Forward”. Certainly everyone mentioned here (and many others I have neglected to mention) have gone "above and beyond" to help my son Michael and I get N89TF aloft. We are forever in your debt.

To my father who planted and nurtured our love of aviation, a very supportive daughter-in-law (camping with the boys at Oshkosh!) and most importantly to my wife Terri, who has stood beside me and encouraged us all the way…………..to everyone …………Thank You!
Fly Safe.

Some photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/DSC024481.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/DSC05741.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/DSC05727.jpg

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 01:41 pm:   

I am so happy for both of you, Glen and Mike. Your plane is beautiful! After all those years when Terry continually nagged you to get it into the air, I know he would be so excited to see it fly. Congratulations! Many happy days are ahead for the entire Farley family! Susan Sack

Bill Copeland
Username: Cbros

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:17 pm:   

Glen:

Congratulations! It only took us 11 years, but persistence pays! Thanks for the nod re: the newsletters. We had a lot of fun doing them and hoped they would be of use to someone.
Now, for the interesting part - finishing and trimming.
We now have nearly 800 hours on 404CB and it is still going strong.
Just one word of caution - don't get it slow near the ground.
Have fun!

Bill C

ali moghaddas
Username: Amoghadd

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:31 pm:   

Congratulations Glen. Hopefully, I'll have mine flying in a couple of months also.

Ali M.

Joel Pressly
Username: Jpressly

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 06:05 pm:   

Outstanding news! Blue skies and tailwinds to you!

Joel

Ronald H. Lock
Username: Ron_lock

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 08:21 am:   

I purchased N540MP in Feb. 07 S# 37 CT tail it had about 195 houres on it. No problems getting back from Washington to Mississippi, handled good,it took about 14 hours.

A special thanks goes out to Graig Snively and Joel Presley. Graig was the owner and builder and Joel has been involved with the built and maintance of the plane over the years and they did a great job. Joel has gone out of his way with help on many of questions and ideas.

I am not a builder but I like to take on projects to make them better. I liked the fact that the plane had 195 hours and been used for several years since completion (1999) I didn't want to be a test pilot. I only have about 25 hours since I purchased it for a number of reasons. I have two other planes I fly a Cirrus SR 22 and a Rv 8-A,( it only had 45 hours when purchased the RV and I found out fast that I was a test pilot for at least another 50 hours) but the real reason is trying to get the work done on the Wheeler. It has taken a lot of time to get people to work on it. Some of the things I did are.
1. Changed out the landing gear to the alum. gear. This was more work than I was though, because we had to change the brakes to Grove,the old brakes would not work. Then I have had a problem getting the brakes bleed and lines leaking etc.
2. Put a dock in for my 496, and a V/S gage.
3. Installed in the panel a Trio autopilot with alt. hold and preset, along with V/S. Still have to install the servos.
4. Put in a new Int. What a Job.
5. Put Vortex Gen. on the Vertical & Horizontal tail. Took a instructor up and did stalls and cross control, we both felt it operated like most other planes no surprises, handled great.
6. Had the plane painted.
Items that still need to be completed are servos installed, wheel pants (useing RV 10 pants).

I have a few questions if someone can help me out with.

Landing on a short grass strip. What kind of air spread do you use on final and touch down, and how long were the strips? I am going to have to take it in to a 1800 ft strip with a few hundred feet over run, to get the servos installed. The landings that I have been doing on paved strips are 100 knots down wind and base and 85 on final with about 50% flaps,(manual flaps) can't get full flaps in the air I guess I am getting weak. Can you fly it at 70 knots without the tail stalling? Everything I have seen on the web site is don"t get slow close to the ground. I did land on a 2000 ft. grass strip with a Cirrus SR 20 that I used to own , no problem got in and out in about 1500 feet on a cool day. One thing I noticed with the Wheeler on landings (crossing the numbers at 80 to 85 Knots)it seemed like I floated above the runway for a long time before it touches down.

Does anyone know how many kits were sold and how many are flying by type (CT tails Express 2000 etc.).

Pictures

Chaz King
Username: Chazking

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 02:30 pm:   

All,

I did a search of the FAA site a couple years ago and found approx 65 with AW certs and another 30 or so in progress.

Regards,

Chaz

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 05:26 pm:   

You are floating because you are landing hot. Mine stalls at 55/50knts clean/dirty, and I typically land at 80 mph. Try some stalls with sufficient altitude, and find out where yours are. The tail stopping to fly on the cruciform tail is a cross control issue - i.e. large rudder input at slow speed, and the effect diminishes with flaps. In coordinated flight, there is no tail issue, other than authority, which can be a problem with a heavy nosed airplane (due to big engine, e.g.) but the main effect there is ability to hold the nose off after touchdown.

Reinhard Metz

Michael Farley
Username: Mikefarley

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   

Congrats on the purchase Ronald! The plane looks wonderful sitting on its new gear and with the new paint job.

Not that I want to argue with Chas, but my father and I have an Excel sheet made up with all (that we know about) Expresses that are or have flown. I'm not sure how many there are by model of tail, but the last number I was up to was around 106 flying Expresses. If you want the file shoot me an email and I'll send it to you.

Once again, congrats!

Martin Jennett
Username: J6_aaa

Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 06:01 am:   

As RM says, you'll float forever at those high landing speeds. I've never quite grasped what all the talk of ' don't let it get slow....' is all about. Mine is a 1993 CT with 200hp, kit no 16, built strictly according to Wheeler manuals - One must remember that each individual kit is built slightly differently, so check out your figures/stalls as RM suggests. I've never stalled mine, but periodically I go up high and do some slow flight. Solo, half power, half flaps,still flies fine at 50 mph. Using this as stall speed would give 65 mph (x 1.3)approach speed, would it not-?To be safe I use 75/80 mph final,70 over the fence,60/65 touchdown, and it'll still float. These are mph , not knots. If a little fast, sometimes I dump the flaps( gotta pull back on the stick as you do this..!..) in the flare, once the wheels are within a foot of the runway.This gives a nose-high kiss landing when you do it right. - Shortest strip used regularly ( lengthened now) 1400ft. There's my 2 cents. It's been 15 years so far. Plane has 2100hrs, 4200 ldgs, mostly short strips, often turbulent, steep approaches. Will not load beyond 2700 lbs.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 06:42 am:   

Mine is a 200hp also. As far as the going slow conerns go, maybe it's time to reiterate exactly what the issue is. It is not going slow - it is highly uncoordinated slow flight with no flaps.

When I was building the Express, Jim Warner gave me several rides in his to provide continuing insipartion. One time he decided that for safety's sake, and to clear up exactly what all the hoopla about the Express CT tail stall is all about, that he would demonstarte it for me, and then make me do it myself. If you decide to explore this as well, I just recommend that you start with sufficient altitude - It's kind of like spin training - there are advocates and there are those who say just never go there...

In any case, the way it works is that you slow the plane down straight and level and at say 130 mph you put in full rudder. The plane has so much rudder authority that it feels exceedingly strange, which also gives witness to how unlikley it is that you would do this inadvertently. Keep slowing down, and somewhere in the 110 to 80 range, the tail will blank, and the plane will go STRAIGHT DOWN, and your heart will be in your throat! But then, after you wipe your..., just bring the nose back to straight and level and it's over, minus xk feet. I've never tried it with flaps, but supposedly it doesn't happen with 1/2 to full flaps. Also, many builders have limited their rudder travel to prevent it, and still have more than enough rudder.

Ronald H. Lock
Username: Ron_lock

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 07:51 am:   

Thanks to Chaz, Richard, Michael and Martin for all the great information. When I go up and try the stalls etc. I will make sure I have some one writing down the speeds.
Thanks Ron

Michael Nackerman
Username: Nackerman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 11:49 am:   

Hello Glen and Mike!!
Some late congratulations on getting N89TF into the air. It warmed my heart to stumble across this posting today. I admire you both for your dedication in finishing your project!! I hope to see it in person some day. Mike N..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: