Dual Elevator Trim Tabs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Dual Elevator Trim Tabs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John McKiernan
Username: Rockyjs

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 08:32 pm:   

I've been doing some work on a friends Wheeler Express CT and am curious about a few items:

The elevators have electric trim on the right and a "Ground Adjustable" tab on the left. The trim tabs are identical in size. The left elevator has a recess to install another electric trim. Does anyone use dual electric trims? I noticed on a recent test flight that I landed with max nose up trim, and could have used some more. The CG is within limits (aircraft recently weighed), but forward with just 1 person.

Section 6 (Empannage assembly) is missing from the manual. The aircraft has push-pull tubes and the elevators are significantly heavier pulling the stick back then pushing forward. I imagine the weight of the vertical control rod and associated linkage is affecting the feel. I'd like to recheck the elevator balance, but it seems difficult to disconnect/re-attach the pushrod rod end connecting to the elevators while the rudder is attached. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks
John McKiernan

David Monroe
Username: Copterdoctor45

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 03:25 pm:   

I have an extra copy of section 6 on the FT version. Not sure if they are the same or not. I would be glad send it to you if it's compatible.

David Monroe
Longwood, FL
copterdoctor45@gmail.com

Keep the skids down and your face into the wind.

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 03:25 pm:   

John:
Some additional info would be helpful. What is the size of the trim tab(s)for the elevator?
I measured mine today (right side only) and it is about 4.375"x19.375".
What engine and prop combo do you have? What is the total weight of the airplane?
If you need the empannage section of manual, let me know and I'll run a copy.
Jim

John McKiernan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 05:56 pm:   

Thanks for the replies.
The Aircraft weighs 1966 lbs and is powered by a Lyc IO 540 (250 HP) with a Constant speed MT prop. I'll get the prop model tomorrow along with the trim tab dimensions. It probably is very close to the dimensions you gave Jim.
Jim if you can run a copy off for me and let me know what I owe you that would be great. Thanks for the offer also David.

Bill Copeland
Username: Cbros

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 07:44 pm:   

John:
In your update re: the prop could you also tell us how much fuel you had in what tanks?

John McKiernan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 08:03 pm:   

Fuel on board was 14 gallons left, 12 gallons right. Two tanks in each wing were converted to single tank at some point. Computed CG at landing 2342 lbs 77.04" 19.6 %MAC

John McKiernan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 06:40 pm:   

My Elevator tabs are both 4" x 19.625". The propeller is an MTV-9-B/193-11B 04/97. I'm contemplating using a spring bias system to equalize the forward and aft stick pressures if the elevator is balanced. Has anyone done this?

Bill Copeland
Username: Cbros

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   

John:
Entirely unnecessary.
A characteristic of our CT model is that the more fuel you load, the farther the CG moves forward.
While I'm at it, if you are flying off your hours and notice that the airplane seems a little left wing heavy, ignore it until you get someone in the right seat with you then adjust as necessary.
Bill C

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 01:06 pm:   

John:
Here is a site that has the CT Tail instructions documented. I can run a copy of my manual if you still want me to.
http://www.wheelerexpress.com/ctmanual/sec6.pdf
I also measured the "throw" of my trim tab, and it runs down 2.375inches from the elevator trailing edge to tab trailing edge when fully deflected.
I have pictures if that would help.
Jim

John McKiernan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 08:53 pm:   

Thanks Jim that's perfect no need for a hard copy. The good news is I lubricated every rod end in the elevator control system and have a much smoother response. I'll be flying weather permitted this week and will give a quick report. Thanks again!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: