POH Development Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » POH Development « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 11, 2003Tom R. Hutchison10 11-11-03  05:41 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 06:42 pm:   

Nice POH - well done

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 07:34 am:   

Just a couple comments. On some airplanes, leaving them with "set brakes" you might come back and find they have stuck. Hot days fluid exspands, cold days the bucks can freeze to the disk. Chocks and or tie downs are an option.
On run ups, cycling the prop is a throw back to the old days. At low power setting and cold oil, you are robbing oil from the front main bearing to the governor to cycle the prop. If it held RPM settings on your last flt, then I 'll bet it works just fine now. Cycling only shows the ability of the thing to work ,not that it is. Lycoming has had some front bearing go out latey, TCM might use the same principle.
92 gallons of gas, HOLLY COW!! I must have done something wrong, mashed my wings together to tight or something. I can only put in 39 a side.14 gallons is alot of space, did you move some ribs out? I flew around over the airport till one wing was dry, landed,filled my tank and calabrated the guages, twice. Sure you can get 46 a side??or do you have a header tank?

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 09:05 am:   

Wayne, I agree with your comments - the item about cycling the prop is particularly interesting. There's a lot of stuff like that out there, where the origins are forgotten.

The 92 Gal.includes the unuseable, which is about 6 gal. total (1.5/tank). I have measured 24.5 gal/main and 18.5 per aux, both by draining (with plane level)with the fuel pump, on the ground and re-filling, and by air-running dry. That's the stock original main plus aux Wheeler arrangement. I think most folks with the four tanks see about 86 gal. useable.

By the way, running a Lycoming dry is a heart-stopping experience - without the return line arrangement that the Continentals have, it seems to take forever for the engine to purge the air in the lines and start up on the newly selected tank!

Chris M.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 03:44 pm:   

Wayne,

Since you have the newer Series 2000 wings, they have about 10 gal less capacity than the original Express wings (the full span front shear web's the primary difference in your wings). Newer wings show about 1.5 to 2.0 gal unusable per side, so that would equate out to about 78 - 79 gallons usable (+/-), or pretty much what you have.

- Chris

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 04:58 pm:   

Hey guys,this forum page is supposed to be for POH info.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 05:03 pm:   

I put my fuel pickup finger screen in as low as I could. Initially I put 5 gal in and used the aux pump to pump the tanks dry in a flt type att. 4.5 came out so I figure I have 1/2gal un usable per side. As far as running dry, when you are close, the fuel pressure drops a few seconds before the engine sputters. Gravety flows the fuel past my selector and to the aux pump mounted along the FW lower lip, so getting fuel flowing again is easy.
I could tell you about the time both engines ran dry at the same time in a PA31, very quiet sept for the pax in the rear! But that was before I became PIC.
Pre flts and run ups are part of getting ready to fly, but a good post flt will allow you more time to fix things. I tickle my mags on the taxi in, the engine is warm, the plugs aren't fowled and I know if the P leads are grounding, before I turn the prop to put on the tow bar.
Just be safe and that is subjective.

Steve Bussey
Username: Geosync

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:28 am:   

Thanks Reinhardt and Gary,

I noticed differences in the V speeds in your info. I am ready to buy an airspeed indicator, what is everyone using for the green, white, and yellow arcs?

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:01 pm:   

well, I'm cheap, so I bought one that isn't marked. I installed a placard that lists the speeds, do we REALLY know anyway? Besides, you won't know what the bottom of YOUR green ark is untill you fly your plane, then you might be scared to see that you are flying in the yellow ark most the time. (install the winky smily guy here)

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 07:10 pm:   

Fellow builders; I have put the CAFE Foundation 1998 report on my Express on my web page as a PDF file. The link is on the home page. For those of you who missed it in the Sport Aviation magazine that year, you can now have a look at it. CAFE did an excellent job of collecting data on my Express with the 210 HP Continental I0 360. It is a cruciform tail which will make a difference, but if you are interested in the V speeds and other tid bits, its all there.
www.sierratel.com/jerico

paul mikaelsen
Username: Pmikaelsen

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:17 am:   

Following are the range markings I got from Larry.
WHITE= 55-120 KNOTS
GREEN= 58-185 KNOTS
YELLOW= 185=230 KNOTS
RED= 230

Brian McKinney
Username: Bmckinney

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:52 am:   

...install the winky smily guy here ...

(All right Wayne... I thought you told me you were a computer genius!)

Brian

JD
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:23 pm:   

I believe that was "a CHEAP computer genius!"

- JD

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:54 pm:   

Here is a visual reference taken from an aircraft in the factory.

-Allyn

Airspeed

Doug Stone
Username: Dougstone

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 09:20 pm:   

Has someone developed a P.O.H. for the S-90,2004,IO-540?

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 07:28 am:   

Yes there is. I can get you a copie of it

Shawn

Bill Page
Username: Bluemoon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:15 am:   

I have been searching for a W&B chart showing CG ranges at various weights up to 3200lbs for the Express CT with a LYC IO-540. The only one I've found was a very restrictive one published by David Ullrich. I hope someone has come up with something better. (I have read that these charts are referred to a "potato" charts.) Please let me know what other CT Builders have used as I'm getting close to needing it.

Working toward first flight this summer; perhaps in July if I can get the DAR inspector scheduled soon.

Bill Page

henri walser
Username: 43henri

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 07:51 am:   

I finish my POH for my Express-CT. Now I foung some fancy C.G position. In the original paper from Ken Wheeler I found the C.G. range 19%-40%.When I calculeted with the basic of 34 ",the result was Fwd.C.G. 76.07 Aft 87.40 ". Does some one knows the C.G of the Express-CT N-300 EX ?? If I passed the final inspection in April, my first flight with HB-YMH would go on imn May...

Steve Christensen
Username: Stevec

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 05:27 pm:   

Henri,

I put my datum at 64 inches in front of the fiberglass firewall so that everything on the plane would be behind the datum. But if my datum would be 34 inches in front of the firewall my foreward CG is 74.69 and my Aft CG is 84.95. I found these numbers in the Technical Documents area of this website. There is a weight and balance for N49EX. I am not familiar with the 19% to 40%.

Steve

Charles Wood
Username: Cwood

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 06:12 pm:   

Henri;
On my Express 2000, The max forward CG is 15% at Station 74.43 and the max aft CG is 35% at Station 85. Hope this helps.
Charlie

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: