Nose gear shimmy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Nose gear shimmy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Louie Lacy
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 09:38 am:   

My nose gear has started to shimmy below about 40 mph and tightening the nut on the spindle doesn't help. Does anyone think replacing the bellville washer will help this situation?
Lou Lacy

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 07:01 pm:   

Hi Louie:
I had the same experience with my Express, a Cessna 182 and a Cessna 206. First, the tension on the rear end of the nose wheel fairing (using a fish scale) should be 25 to 30 lbs. Also, the rake of the nose wheel from front pivot point to back (axle )should be negative from 1 to 4 degrees. This means the nose of the aircraft will lift as the wheel turns side to side putting centering pressure on the gear. The next, or maybe the most important is to make sure the wheel and tire assembly is balanced and that the tire is round. Nose tires take a real beating so check for flat spots. Changing the washer may make a difference but you do need to rule out the other factors. Good luck and let us know how you resolve the problem on your Express.
Jerry Sjostrand

Louie Lacy

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 08:34 pm:   

This nose gear shimmy is still with me. Has anyone had the same problem and what did you do to solve the problem. How can you balance the tire and check if it is round. All the tire places do not have anything to check this type of tire. Put in new bearings and tried different tension on the nose wheel fairing.
Lou Lacy

Chaz King
Username: Chazking

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 08:41 am:   

Louie,

Several years ago, I had the shimmy upon landing ... the nose wheel would violently shift left / right against the stops. It was noticeable by people @ the airport, who commented helpfully on the fact!

I took the nose wheel yoke off, re-greased every thing, and tightened the castle nut to 25# side pull. Solved the issue.

Use a fish scale on the nose gear tow bar and pull to ≥ 25# (tighten the castle nut to get that tension). Cotter key & you're done.

Barring all of that .. do a google search of "Nose gear shimmy." Look @ Aircraft Spruce. There's info on shimmy ..

Ask Darrell Peterson for his recommendation.

Regards,

Chäz

Louie Lacy

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2012 - 10:39 am:   

I still have nose wheel shimmy. Could the friction washer be the problem. I have 825 hours on my Express and wondered if that washer needs to be replaced at a certain time.
Lou Lacy

Kevin Maxwell Dennes
Username: Kevin_dennes

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 04:43 pm:   

Louie.
We developed a small amount of shimmy on our 2000. However the pull weight had dropped to about 25lbs. I increased the pressure to 40 lbs (which I think was in the original instructions) and since then we have not noticed any shimmy on landing. May be worth a try to increase that pressure.

Regards.

Kevin (from Downunder)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: