Cargo Pod Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Cargo Pod « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 02:16 pm:   

I need some advice from my fellow builders, expecially those of you who are flying your dream machine.

My situation is I need to carry myself, the wife and our 4 dogs. My plan was to take out the back seats and build some type of platform for the dogs. I would build something where we could attach the dog "seatbelt" harness to the platform so they wont go bouncing around in turblance. On car trips 3 will quickly go to sleep and the other one likes to sit and look out the window. Whatever I do I would fix it so I can remove the platform and put the seats back in.

My question is baggage space after I have the dog platform in place. Weight is not as big an issue as bulk. The dogs are about 50lbs a piece. Then there is dog food, toys and the "human" luggage. Years ago there was a cargo pod option.

I was wondering if it's worth the effort to come up with some type of cargo pod or do you folks think I'll have enough room in the cabin? Wings are not mated yet so I have easy access to the fuselage floor.

Bill Copeland
Username: Cbros

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 08:06 am:   

Joe:
I am familiar with the cargo pod concept as I traveled to Sun 'N Fun in 1993 in the factory airplane with the cargo pod in place. It was useful to the extent that it did provide space to carry much of the printed materials used in the Wheeler booth, engine oil and "spares". We were able to place a considerable load on or near the best CG location. The main draw back proved to be access. It was a chore to lay on the ground to get stuff out.
If you plan to install one you might ask the forum if the original Wheeler pod is available.
Also, if you do install a pod make sure you are able to secure whatever you load in it so that you do not "change" the CG in flight.
Finally, the original pod had little effect on cruise speed.
Good luck!

Bill C

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 09:23 am:   

Joe:
From going thru the archives, it looks like you're building a CT. Your description of the dogs shows that weight will not be a problem. I think that your removable platform is a good solution. However, you might want to think about limiting the platform area to the original seating area. This will keep the dogs confined to the area normally occupied by people, who can and do move around.
Maybe a cargo net, or temporary bulkhead to separate the baggage area. I would not necessarily want to have 50# to 200# moving around in the plane as far back as the baggage area.
Might be worthwhile trying this out with some cardboard first to actually 'see' how much room there is in the back seat area.
I'm guessing that you have also seen the cargo pod being marketed to RV10 owners that carries a motorcycle-might be able to glean some ideas from that if you still go the pod route.

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 05:28 pm:   

Joe; Check my website for rear cargo area panel information.
www.sierratel.com/jerico

Need more info? Contact me. Jerry

Louie Lacy
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 05:37 pm:   

Joe I can send you a picture of the platform I built for my Express. It might give you an idea of the shape and area it covers
Lou

paul mikaelsen
Username: Pmikaelsen

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 05:55 pm:   

Joe I have I think the only pod that Larry built for sale. I never installed it and would be glade to send some pictures and dimensions if it would help. Paul

Robert Scott
Username: Stinsonman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   

Side note too Joe - How do your dogs handle the sound volume?

A proud Express owner and 1st time post

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 06:24 am:   

Here's one:

here's one

Joe Chisolm

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 09:20 pm:   

All - thanks for the input. For auto trips the dogs ride in the back seat of a F250 crewcab (4 door model). It's a little small so one usually rides up front. This is with the back seat folded up and a pad on the floor for them. I need a little more room than that for all 4 to live in the back.

Bill Copeland: Good info on the original pod. Usage would be infrequent so I'm not too concerned about getting on the ground for access. I have a IO540 with the aluminmum gear so I guess gross wt would be 3200, though I think that's pushing it a little. I'm thinking the pod would be a good place for a 35lb bag of dog food. 4 dogs x 2 meals a day, it goes pretty quick.

I think we met once at Livermore many moons ago. I have a friend, Mark Allen, who had his C150 based there.

Jim Ward: You bring up a good issue about CG movement. My plan was to have some type of cargo net so they would be some what limited in their aft movement. A question to you and other builders - I have a IO540 and 3 blade prop up front. Various information and postings seem to say this will be nose heavy and I'll need some weight in the back, like the battery. Is this situation what those of you with IO540's have seen?

Paul Mikaelsen: Yes, please send me (or post here) any pictures and info you have on the original cargo pod. How did they do the attachment to the bottom of the fuselage. I think it was removeable - is this correct?

Robert Scott: The dogs have never been in a plane yet but have been out to the airport with me. I'm trying to plan ahead while I have easier access in the fuselage. They seem to take noise OK. When riding in the car, loud cars or motorcycles do not bother them.
Wonder if there are noise canceling headsets for dogs :-)

Joe Chisolm

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 09:25 pm:   

Here is Team CARL:
Cosmo, Anna, Rex and Lilly
4 border collies we got as pups during a momentary lapse of sanity.

Team CARL

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 09:53 am:   

Joe
My Express CT has the same setup - Hartzel 3 blade in front of the IO540 engine, and aluminum gear. I followed the others lead and put my battery directly behind bulkhead 162. I went with the larger Concorde RG-35AXC battery, because I originally had low cranking (changed out the wire,starter, and battery, so I'm not sure who the culprit was).
My elevator trim is not fully extended for landing with just me flying, but is down pretty far. It is definitely a different situation with weight in the back (I forgot to reset the trim prior to taking 3 people for a ride!!).
Good looking pups! I'm guessing they get PLENTY of walks!!
I'm based in Livermore as well. Let us know if you get up this way to visit your firend.

Charles Wood
Username: Cwood

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 11:26 am:   

Joe;
I have a Cont. IO-520 (about 400lbs)with Hartzell 3 blade prop.. When I fly alone or with one passenger, I carry 120lbs in baggage to keep the CG a little further back and keep some weight off the nose.
Also, I had a Poddle that loved to fly, but went deaf before he died. Not sure if it was the airplane, but bought "Mutt Muffs" for my Jack Russell and they seem to be working well..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: