Pest repeller for hangar Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Pest repeller for hangar « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 05:05 pm:   

I'm thinking of trying an electronic pest repeller to rid the hangar of spiders and the occassional mouse or rat from the river. Here is a link to the unit:
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/home-sentinel-ultrasonic-electromagnetic-pest-re peller.html

Do you think there is any chance that the features will have a detrimental effect on the avionics?
Thanks!
Ben

Jeff Dingbaum
Username: Aviators

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 05:44 pm:   

my first thought at reading the subject was to take the beer out of the hangar fridge. :-)

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 05:56 pm:   

The only detrimental affect from an electronic pest repeller is to your hearing aids should you have them. I found this out years ago when I purchased an ultrasonic pest repeller for our home (spiders) and a tradesman who was doing some remodeling for us complained about it, said it was driving him crazy. So, if you want one, they do work, and they probably will repel your friends as well as the pests.....Susan Sack

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 06:22 pm:   

"Ultrasound and Arthropod Pest Control" an extensive Kansas State University study[1] confirmed that ultrasonic sound devices do have both a repellent effect as well as a reduction in mating and reproduction of various insects. However, the results were mixed and ultrasonic sound had little or no effect on some pests. Ultrasonic devices where highly effective on crickets while the same devices had little repellent effect on cockroaches. Additionally the results where mixed with some devices being effective while others having no effect depending on the test subject. The study also concluded /b {there was no effect on ants or spiders in any of the tests.} They concluded, based on the mixed results, that more research is needed to improve these devices.[1]

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/grsc_subi/Research/archives/2001_ESA_Meeting_Posters/con tents/SCJ%20talk.pdf

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: