IO-550 oil filtering Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » IO-550 oil filtering « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 06:38 am:   

I currently have this oil filter system:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/adcsystem.php
It's the first one, the black "box" mounted on the firewall. It uses about a 4 inch screen for filtering. Do you have any experience with this system and does it work well? I was tempted to install a remote spin on system until I saw the price!!!! Automotive systems are eighty bucks; aircraft systems are almost 500.

I do have the choice of going back to the spin on filter in the original spot, however, I must relocate a few things.

How do you vote---use it as is, go back to the spin on system, bite the bullet for the remote spin on system, or try to adapt an automotive system?
{The A&P at my airport said I must use an aircraft filter because the automotive filters don't have check valves. After shut-down the oil will drain out of the filter and the engine will eventually seize from oil starved cold starts.}

Thanks!
Ben

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 07:27 am:   

Ben,
I have used all of the above in different experimentals. I currently have the identical ADC on my project...the only pro I can see to it is the maintenance cost...zero. The screen filters well also...

They are a messy thing to maintain...when you crack them open it's tough to contain the oil...you also have the issue of a potential oil line leak.

I have had automotive oil filters pull away from the seal and cause massive leaks. Some startup oil pressures can be high. If you go with the auto filter, buy the racing filter. I think the A&P remark about starving the engine is hogwash.

The plan for me is to go with the spin on, mounted on the engine. It's simple, light and no hoses...The one I bought is here:

http://www.fm-enterprises.com/ Model C6LC-S

Al

John McKiernan
Username: Rockyjs

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 08:21 am:   

Ben,
I actually like the ADC firewall mounted filter. I don't find it to be any messier than dealing with engine mounted filters since I have very good access to the box. I use a piece of aluminum flashing shaped in a "V" to capture the oil into a container. A nice feature of this filter is that it has an oil bypass light warning that works very well. It alerts you to a clogged filter element that needs inspection/cleaning. I concur about the A&P statement as hogwash.

Chaz King
Username: Chazking

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 09:29 am:   

Ben,

The ADC system was installed on my Express when I bought it .. Other than being somewhat messy when I remove it, it has been great. I like the chip detect feature and the bypass detect; both have lights mounted on the panel and will give an "early" indication of problems (metal in the oil & screen covered causing filter bypass). Unless you're having problems I would not replace it with an automotive system; they have none of the early warning systems.

I bought a second screen so the oil change is quicker and I clean the replaced screen at my leisure!

It is supposed to keep the oil cooler (surface area) and its easier to removed (at least the cover is). No good way to assess that claim, but intuitively is sensible.

And, this is an adaptation of the Oberg system for aviation. Have a look @ Oberg ..

Best,

Chäz

P.S. Be cautious of scare tactics. A&Ps are mechanics not mechanical engineers. Talk to someone with a mechanical engineering degree; they tend to have an evaluation methodology that gives consistent results that can be verified with other MEs!

P.P.S. Because my Express had not been flying for several years when I purchased it, it did make metal and the ADC caught it early. Oil analysis indicated it was not a serious issue, but it was a good early alert.

Chaz King
Username: Chazking

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 01:12 pm:   

Ben,

One more comment...

Go to the aviation development web site ... give Joe a call .. he's helpful, but can be a bit short. He's been doing this for years. And, if you buy directly from him, he remembers and will cut you some slack, as he has for me in the past.

Best,

Chäz

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 05:39 am:   

Thanks, guys, I'm going to keep the ADC system. I'd like to get a spare screen so I can swap it sooner than the 50 hours ADC says it can go. I'll give Joe a call, Chaz.

I thought the disposable filters would do a better filtering job, but I was wrong.

Thanks again!
Ben

Darrell M Peterson
Username: Darrell

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 11:49 am:   

Ben,We have a ADC System on our 182 here at the factory,It works so well we are now installing one on our Express 2000 RG,Which has a TSIO-540 Lycoming installed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: