Performance numbers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Performance numbers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wayne norris
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 02:05 pm:   

I am 11 hours and 25 landings into my flt testing. This is a nice landing airplane, just don't let go of the stick after touch down, "lower" the nose down to the runway.
I do not have the interior or radios in yet so it's light and no wheel pants. I was wondering what kind of speed you all are getting.
So... It's 14 min to climb to 10000' from 1000 msl takeoff at 140 mph.
Cruise at 10K, 2300 rpm 21.5" 190mph TAS.
At 5000'. 2500/25" 200mph TAS
2400/24" 190mph
2300/23" 183mph
I have had it up to 230IAS so far in a power on 2500fpm dive. Can this crate really get to 265 Vne?? Maybe on a vertical down line.
Now tell me your lies so I can see how I am doing.
Wayne

LOUIE LACY (Llacy)
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 07:01 am:   

Wayne
Try an aileron roll and dish out the final part and you will find out just how fast this airplane will go!!!!
llacy@netease.net

wayne norris
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 09:15 am:   

So doesn't anyone fly? Where are those figures?
How about that Vx Vy?, like there is really a need, if you are down to that, you made a poor choice on landing. So anyway, I am thinking Vx at 110mph and Vy 140mph.Any better ideas?

F. Craig Albright (Craig)
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 09:55 am:   

Wayne,

I haven't even started my 2000RG yet. So, I don't have any real-world idea regarding actual Vx and Vy. However, Vx=95 kt and Vy=122 kt would be quite a bit higher than any plane I've flown! My Mooney M20K is about 71 and 96, respectively. The flight testing guide from the FAA has a well-defined procedure for establishing these performance numbers. What does the Express factory expect?

Craig Albright
N5262M @ CHD (AZ)

wayne
Posted on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:05 pm:   

FYI you can TO/LD an Express in 2-3" of snow on a grass runway just fine. At 2500# I was off in 900' and landed/stopped in less than 2200' wo much braking.
Here is a cold wx flying tip for you. If there is snow or slush, spray the brake calipers with RV anti freeze, (the pink stuff) or ac de-icing fluid if you have some before you taxi out. Use minimum brakes and avoid applying brakes after TO. This lets the wheels spin off the water.
If it is below freezing where you land, on final, apply the brakes a couple of times. This will hopefully smash/crack any ice that may have frozen your brake pads to the disk. If you do this to early in the flt, you may freeze the pads to the disk as there are no return spings on our brake pistons.
For you warm wx southern flyers, just keep on smiling.

wayne norris
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:00 am:   

I am continuing the cold climate testing of the EX2K. For those who pooh pooh grass strips, I can tell you that the airplane performs quite well off and on grass with 2-3" of snow. I was surprised to discover that the TO is about the same as on dry grass,but the landings were actually shorter. See pictures in my gallery section. Spraying the brake calipers with RV anti-freeze before TO helps to insure they don't freeze later.(warm brakes melt the snow, water re freezes after TO, could lock up the brakes)
I don't use a heated pitot, but there is no need to die just because your ASI shows zero.(sometime after flying though 20 min of snow)remember the airplane flies on thrust and attitude not just what the ASI shows. As far as landing go, use a known power setting on the same GS and you should be close. The GPS GS works as a good back up also.
The cabin heater I got from Custom Aircraft, along with 2" SCAT puts out more than enough hot air, I have been flying lately in 15 degree F wx and it is plenty cold on up at 9500', but I was in shirt sleeves enjoying a great ride. .

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:31 am:   

As I prepare for getting my Express flying, would appreciate some cruise performance numbers from those of you already enjoying the fruits of your labors. What manifold pressure/RPM combinations do most of you use on your cross countries, pattern work, and basic airwork practice (stalls, limited acro, steep turns, etc.)? Would also appreciate any performance numbers you're getting so I can compare my aircraft to some 'known' points. I'll be using an IO-540-C4B5 with a Q-tip HC-C3YR-1 prop on an Auriga kit. Thanks for the insight.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:09 pm:   

with all the apples and oranges out here this is
is what mine does. 193mphT at 23" and 2350rpm, 14.7gph. I climb at 26/26 at 140mphI getting about 700fpm +- variables. I cruise at 23/2350 or full throttle and average 15 gph.
down wind in the pattern,11".
If you want to do acro, I have an aerobatic plane you should buy. please don't let your statistic be our insurance increase.
Good luck flying, finding all the numbers for YOUR plane is the fun part, then we can compare fruit. If you go to OSH and need a place to stop we are here, 8II2.

Charles M. Robinson

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:54 am:   

Thanks, Wayne. I've had my Test Pilot School performance texts back out going through the performance test procedures, just for that purpose. By the end of the 25 hours, I hope to have some good charts done. I even get to deliver a similar FT for a gentleman in Fresno (the plane is at SSI right now). That plane should have the same or similar numbers to mine. After the 2000 mile trip, I should have a good baseline from which to start. BTW--by acro I was refering only to lazy 8's and chandelles. I have a partner with a Super Decathalon, and also get to fly with a friend in his Extra 300L. Any urges to get a different perspective on the world is satisfied by those. I plan to use the Express for XC and sight seeing. As an indication, the wife asked me if we could mount a DVD player in the back by hanging it from the ceiling (the air channel from the tail in the Auriga makes an inviting spot). Believe I'll instead make the flap motor box into an entertainment console with cup holders and a power outlet for a portable DVD player. The rear seats will then have full in-flight entertainment...in stereo.

Charles M. Robinson

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 08:58 am:   

Fellow builders/flyers

I've searched the archives and my manuals and can't confirm my Auriga CG limist. I'm computing my W&B and want to get the specific numbers. I've seen 18% and 35% MAC. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help

Chuck

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 07:24 pm:   

Charles,

If memory serves correct, 15% to 35% MAC are the more common limits for the Auriga & new 2000 models. They have been successfully flown as far aft as 40% MAC, but 35% is a safer aft limit (plus it's not often you'll reach that limit even with full seats, cargo and fuel).

The 18% forward number may be an old number stemming from the abrupt rotation tendency with the original aircraft. The newer main gear are moved forward some, providing a better balance and smoother takeoff rotation compared to older models. Others may be able to provide additional comment on this...

Hope this helps...

- Chris

David Frederiksen
Username: Frederik

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 07:12 pm:   

Charles

The CAFE report for Jerry Sjostrands aicraft shows the C. of G. range as 76.25" to 82" using Datum point 34" fwd of the Firewall.
I had just been looking for it myself.

David

JD
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 07:28 pm:   

But isn't that for the CT version, not the larger tailed Auriga?

- JD

JK Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:14 pm:   

Yes, that's correct it is for the CT version. I purchased Jerry Sjostrands CT (360EZ) in November. I have worked up several different loading scenarios using the W&B spreadsheet(available on this website) developed by Reinhard Metz (similar weights and equipment to my aircraft) it's easier to get the airplane loaded over gross before reaching the aft CG limit....in the CT anyway....it does'nt have the load carrying capacity of the 2000FT.

JT

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:19 pm:   

Does anybody know what changes were made for the increased gross weight on the 2000FT?

-Eric

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 12:35 am:   

Eric,

Mostly the new aluminum landing gear design limits. The rest of the airframe is pretty capable of handling the extra loads. In some regards, the airplane was over-engineered originally (and vice-versa in others). There may be a few structural mods, but mostly it's in the landing gear limits.

- Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: