Archive through November 29, 2001 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Fuel tank leak-HELP » Archive through November 29, 2001 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tomhutch
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2000 - 10:42 am:   

Blake,
Here is my $0.02 worth:

1. I also wondered about the compatibility of 100LL with PVC. I bought a 1" threaded plug like I used in my wings and have soaked it in a small jar of 100LL since 12/21/99. I periodically pull it out and try to scratch it to see if its softened. As of two days ago, it was as hard as the first day. Therefore my conclusion is 100% compatibile.

2. I am not sure where my return ended up, the guys at Express put it in so maybe they can enlighten us. (I can check when I get back to the shop this evening).

3. I follow the Lancair Mailing list and this subject of grounding the fuel filler neck always stirs up lots of debate. Both Gary M. and I grounded ours. I rivited a bit of AL braided wire shield to the filler neck and ran it to a stud on the fuel probe where it bolts through the rib. I will attach a ground from the outboard side of the stud to the system ground later. I can upload a pic tonight of my installation. I this all necessary? Who knows, its like VERY CHEAP insurance, why not?

4. I'll let others add their own thoughts.

Tom

John L. Pels
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2000 - 11:26 am:   

Folks, I haven't thought about this grounding thing in a while. For what it's worth, there was a great article in Light Plane Maintenance using industrial Thermion in the lay-up process of the wing assy. This article appeared in November 1998 of LPM. It doesn't do those of us much good with wings already assembled, but for new builders it is another option.For back issues or info call 800-829-9085, or email at customer_service@belvoir.com
I have no financial interest in this product and usual disclaimers apply

Tom R. Hutchison
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2000 - 07:23 pm:   

Here is my second try at uploading a digital picture of my filler neck grounding system. (FYI, any images uploaded must have *.jpeg as the file extension)

Filler Neck Ground

Tom

Bob Gisburne
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2000 - 08:16 pm:   

Thoughts re: fuel system. I have about 325 hours on my Express S-90 conversion. I built it with two tanks rather than four. Its great! I did not ground the tank and have had no issues. One area to keep in mind for your fuel system is either a fuel shutoff valve that selects right, left, both and off. (ie. Andair) or check valves to prevent wing to wing fuel transfer while on the ramp. The fuel valve that came with my EDI vintage kit was junk. In the off position, fuel did not go to the engine, but it did port from one wing to the other. I once had fuel pouring out the right tank vent on to the ramp while enjoying my $100 hamburger at the Payson, AZ Airport. It turned into about a $500 hamburger due to EPA waste removal from the spilled fuel. The $175 fuel valve is cheap in retrospect!

Bob Gisburne
N4382A

Sven Eriksson
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2000 - 03:16 pm:   

About leaks and to prevent some of them. My manual states some holes in the fuel bay area to be milled fiber filled around vent tubing, fuel return lines and the drain plug blocks. If this is done the way the manual says it should be done one will end up with milled fiber plugs/fillings with a "sharp" butt joint between the fiberglass surface layer and the milled fiber material. This "joint" line will certainly develop a crack sooner or later when the parts flex in a loaded condition thus making it possible fur fuel to start leaking into the foam and later on to the outside of the tank. To avoid this situation I suggest glassing over all milled fiber plugs with the appropriate number of glass plies. I have a number of jpg pics showing how this should be done. Can anybody tell me how to upload jpg files so I can share the info ?

Sven Eriksson

Jerry
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2000 - 09:19 pm:   

This is a test of the image transfer:Xmas_wreath1

Enjoy the wreath. Jerry

Jerry
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2000 - 09:30 pm:   

Hello Sven,
I hope you enjoy the Christmas wreath. You will find the instructions for the picture file transfer under "formatting". It turns out to be simple enough.
Your point about the "milled fiber" points is well taken. We were told to use fuel sealant in the critical areas, either alone or over the resin area as insurance. Glassing over would be good insurance also.

I am anxious to see your pictures and hope this will encourage others to post pictures as they are worth "a thousand words".

Jerry Sjostrand

Sven Eriksson
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2000 - 12:17 pm:   

OK here are the pics: drain plug vent line

Sven Eriksson

LOUIE LACY
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2000 - 08:36 pm:   

Sven
I used the idea of glassing over the areas you mentioned. A word of caution the problem I had was over torqueing the tank drain plugs and after taking them out must have created a leak in this area had to cut into tanks to fix be carefull when installing the wing tank drain plugs
Lou
llacy@netease.net

Jeff Dingbaum (Aviators)
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 12:00 pm:   

If you have installed the Vision Microsystems fuel probes I am looking for some detailed pictures of the fuel ribs. The previous builder of my kit partially completed one wing. He didn't put the fuel probes in, but he did put in the fuel pickups and the aluminum plates. I don't see where I can install the fuel probe without getting in the way of the other hardware. Of course, I have only been looking at this problem for a day or two, so
it may come to me yet.

Jeff