What is the value of a kit with engin... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » What is the value of a kit with engine and instruments? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Wyckoff
Username: Newexpressguy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 04:41 pm:   

Hi guys, I am a private pilot with no kit building experience. A fellow has offered me a partially built kit consisting of all six phases, a standard tail assembly to replace the cruciform tail, a zero time IO540 rebuilt by a reputable local builder, a McCauley three blade experimental prop, and instrumentation for a basic VFR panel. He wants $65K. I just registered with the forum. I will be reading all the threads to gain knowledge but am concerned that they are mostly old thread with little current activity. I would like to begin discussing my opportunity. Anyone out there to help guide me along? Is it a good deal or a rip off? I will benefit from your experience if you're willing to share. Thanks. Newexpressguy

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 07:38 pm:   

I bought a flying CT with a newly OH 520 for $40K. It needs lots of work. It's in pieces now.

I've seen nice flying ones for around $70K...buy one!

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 08:19 pm:   

I've seen $70-90k for a full flying aircraft... couple on here are for sale in that range in fact..

Bruce Newlan
Username: Bnewlan

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 09:15 pm:   

I will sell my Series 90 full flying aircraft with an IO550 for $65K

Steve Adams
Username: Stevepadams

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 11:21 pm:   

I went and looked at the CT that Barron Thomas has for sale. At the time he was asking $90k which is crazy, but he is down to a reasonable 60k now. It is a flying aircraft that will need some work, the fiberglass and paint aren't great, panel is decent, basic EFIS but if you are looking at a pile O parts for 65k, you could at least have a flying project rather than a project that will be who knows how long to get flying.

What part of the country are you in?

I just bought a S-90 (Blue and white IO540) that had been on Barnstormers for at least a year. I paid $80k for it, basic panel, but perfect fiberglass/paint with essentially no squawks. Everytime I fly it I like it more and more. I have flown many different types(5k hours CFII) and I am really enjoying it, very well balanced controls. Don't worry about the reputation, respect the wing and you'll be fine. I am in the process of getting 2 600 hour 182 pilots checked out and they are doing fine. For 70-90k you are getting Lancair ES performance, more room and it's half the price. Be happy that they are rare, best bargain on the market.

Feel free to email me if you want to discuss anything.

Don't be scared off by the rarity. Performace One aviation(old Phoenix Composites) is literally 100' from my hanger and they were extremely positive on the design. If your anywhere near KFFZ, I can't say enough good things about them.

Brian McKinney
Username: Bmckinney

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 12:38 pm:   

Hi Michael,

This forum will provide you tons of information whether you are buying a used kit or a flying plane. Questions get answered quickly here (as you can see) as soon as someone asks.

There are a lot of Express people out there and they are either enjoying flying with their completed plane, currently building a kit, or like myself, have a kit, but haven't touched it for a few years. I have found over the years that as soon as I start to work on it again and post something here, all the experienced former & current builders show up immediately online to help!

So, good luck with whatever you choose, and the Express group will be here to provide info!

Brian

Michael Wyckoff
Username: Newexpressguy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 08:51 pm:   

Hi guys, Thanks for the great responses. I've made private contact with several of you and am benefiting greatly from your advice. Thanks again, Newexpressguy, Michael.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: