Elevator effort Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Elevator effort « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jimmie Kevin Alderman
Username: Vikingpilot

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 - 05:37 am:   

I am building an early CT, and after installing the cables and linkages for the elevator it seems to take more effort than I would have thought to move it. Has anyone changed the linkage attachment points to get more stick movement and better mechanical advantage? Or is this normal and not an issue? I have balanced my elevator, and its almost perfect except for a couple of ounces extra lead to compensate for the finish primer and paint. The effort seems to be the same in both directions, so the counterweights are not the problem. I have flown many other planes and they all seem to have much more yoke/stick throw for full deflection and less effort to move the controls than my Wheeler.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 - 08:08 am:   

You may want to diagnose your installation and look for exactly where this is coming from. Sounds like some extra friction or binding from somewhere. Is the cable tension correct, perhaps way too high? In any case, the point is, this is not normal for the CT Express - elevator static forces are very light. Some have complained that the dynamic high speed aileron forces on the Express are high, although I don't find them a problem. Look for the cause and fix it - you definitely don't need to modify for greater leverage.

Jimmie Kevin Alderman
Username: Vikingpilot

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2012 - 08:47 am:   

I can move the elevator from the back of the plane with the lightest touch, but it seems that the stick forces are much higher than my Viking was and the viking had an 11' wide elevator. The stick isn't hard to move, just more effort than I am used to. The only other plane that I have flown with this high of control forces is the 172 that I keep current in. Almost have to be a body builder to fly it. It doesn't take even lbs (fishing scale) to move it on the wheeler, it just seems high compared to my Viking. I flew the Viking with 2 fingers most of the time. I will check the pulleys and see what I find.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: