Archive through February 04, 2012 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Landing Gear » Archive through February 04, 2012 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 09:09 am:   

Dear Werner,
Did you share your information with Grove Aircraft Company?
If not,I'm sure they would be interested in your discovery. If you did, what was their response?
Kindest Regards,
Ben

Chaz King
Username: Chazking

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 03:37 pm:   

I own the Gisburne Express; Bob started with the Fiberglas gear, which broke in a landing incident (documented in this forum). Then, he had the steel gear installed, which, eventually, broke while taxiing. Finally, he installed the aluminum gear, which is on the plane now.

Dave Saylor, owner of Aircrafters, LLC, in Watsonville, CA installed the strengthened rib & modification, shown above, as there were cracks in both rib as noted and one of the bolts had sheared (the plane flew & landed fine, but we made the change to increase safety in event of a hard landing).

While the AL gear is stiff & heavy, I find it sturdy & reliable. If you install aluminum gear, do the modification: it costs considerably more than the purchase of the aluminum gear, but the peace of mind is priceless!

Darrell M Peterson
Username: Darrell

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 09:04 am:   

For thoes who are interested, we have begun production of the Retractabl Landing gear once again. we will be ready for sales when the kits are 100% completed& the installation drawings are complete. we are taking no deposits.Our time frame is 90 to 120 days.

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 08:09 am:   

I'm certainly interested. Was planning to replace the fiberglass gear on my Auriga, anyway. Can you give an idea of the complexity, what's involved to install, etc.

Edward Blake
Username: Eddie2103blue

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 12:25 pm:   

Darrell,
Any idea of cost of retractable gear? Will you be at Sun & Fun and/or Oshkosh with set to look at?

Kevin Maxwell Dennes
Username: Kevin_dennes

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 04:06 am:   

Greetings all. It has been a long time since I made contact with the forum.
Our Express 2000 has now got about 600 hours total time and have had a wonderful run and enjoyed it very much.
Over the years we have had a problem of losing our brake fluid from the Cleveland brakes. This has always happened when the aircraft has been stationary and parked in the enclosed hangar. We have just found this has happened again and our engineer has said that the 'O' rings overheated and became distorted and that this is the reason for the loss of fluid as well as overheating the brake pads.
The wheel spats are very closely fitted and we therefore concede that after taxiing back to the hangar that the residual heat in the brakes would not escape easily and are likely to simply 'cook' the 'O' rings after a while and that is a possibly the cause.
Question? Have any of you builders had a similar problem and if you have could you advise me of how you may have overcome the problem? Have you used any ducting to allow flow through or other means of allowing the heat to escape? I will be most grateful for any of your opinions.
Best regards from 'Downunder'.

Darrell M Peterson

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 09:05 am:   

Charls Robinson, this RG landing gear is not designed for Old style wing,It es for the F-5 which is a thicker redesigned airfoil. Call us 360-864-6271.

Darrell M Peterson

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 08:24 am:   

Edward Blake,we will not have any prices untill we have one completed set and final prices from our vendors,We are 45 days untill this happens.

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 06:50 pm:   

Darrel
What some owners have done is make a little NACA duct pionting at the brakes others like myself have put holes in the end for the wheel paint so air has the ability to flow out the end.
Try one of these two thing and see what happens

Shawn

Kevin Maxwell Dennes
Username: Kevin_dennes

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 11:08 pm:   

Shawn.
You are probably answering my posting. I had wondered about installing some form of NACA duct or a small scoop to direct the air in through a hole over the brake assembly. Thank you for the idea of drilling the hole at the back end of the wheel pant. I might even try both.

Regards.

Kevin from'Downunder'