Archive through July 21, 2002 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through July 21, 2002 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 07:18 pm:   

Anyone still have the jig templates for the Auriga, Series 90 or 2000 horizontal & elevator?

Thanks,
Brian

Bill Copeland
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 07:53 am:   

Reinhart:

Got your letter. Great idea!! Plan to send $20 for a T-shirt, but can't make the show.
Is your Lucent E-mail address current? If not, where can I reach you?

Bill C

LOUIE LACY (Llacy)
Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 07:19 pm:   

How can I start an IO-540 Lycoming on a hot day have tried all methods and the only way I could get it to start was take the top cowl off and bleed the injectors took about 2 hours Any ideas would be appreciated
Lou
llacy@netease.net

jharlow
Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:53 am:   

Lou,
Need more information about your specific situation. Are you talking about a hot engine on a hot day? If so how long was it shut down? Do you have the fuel system shrouded and the lines covered with fire shield?
In my case if I just shut down for fuel stop,all I do is crank the engine without adding any fuel and adjust the fuel/air mixture while cranking until it fires.It is very easy to have too much fuel with a hot engine. If it's been an hour such as lunch break then I may advance the mixture during cranking to see if this helps. Another thing if I think I have put too much fuel in I continue to crank with the throttle wide open and the mixture closed. There is a point then when pulling the throttle back that the mixture is correct and it should fire. During my recent trip to Alaska I did encounter some hard starting while in the hot southwest (Texas, New Mexico, etc)

John

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 05:56 am:   

Louie,

I use the method outlined in my Lycoming manual. It works like a charm, regardless of the engine being hot or cold.

Open the throttle 1/4"
Turn on the boost pump
Advance the mixture to full rich for 7 seconds
Close the mixture
Crank the engine
When the engine starts, smoothly move the mixture to rich

If the engine doesn't start after several revolutions, I repeat the entire procedure. I have never had to repeat more than once. The times I did have to repeat, I think I was a little short on the seven seconds.

Jim Butler

Gary Markwardt
Posted on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 07:02 pm:   

Jim:
When do you turn off the boost pump, before cranking or after engine start?

Reinhard Metz
Posted on Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 10:36 am:   

Lou,

Ed Bernard tought me how to start a hot I/O-360 some time ago, and I suspect its the same for a 540 if you have the Bendix fuel injection: Once it's hot and shut down for anywhere between 1 or 2 minutes and up to 1 or 2 hours, assume, unerringly, that it is flooded. With or without boost pump, start with mixture completely out (Lean cut-off), throttle in to what would correspond to 1200-1500 rpm, and crank until it starts, then advance the mixture in smoothly.

The key is to not ever question the flooding - it is flooded, and any extra gas will agravate the situation.

Good luck!

Reinhard Metz
N49EX

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, July 08, 2002 - 05:43 am:   

Gary,

I leave the boost pump on until I am above 4000' AGL. Leaving the boost pump on won't hurt the starting because the mixture control will be closed during cranking, not allowing any fuel to flow.

Jim

LOUIE LACY (Llacy)
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 04:47 pm:   

My Express flys great engine runs great . The only porblem I have it will not start. I installed a Slickstart about 2 months ago and don't think it ever worked. Does anyone know how you can check the Slickstart. I have Slick mags with a retart breaker. Does the Slickstart make any noise when the starter relay is closed??
Lou
llacy@netease.net

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 09:56 pm:   

What's the current count on Express's attending OSH? I assume 511EA will be there, Reinhard Metz's, probably Jim Butler's, and Wayne Norris sounds like he will be there on Wed. Who else ??

Builders & flyers - bring pictures of your construction & finished product if you have 'em. Your ideas may save some of us a lot of time and show future builders what it is all about...

Also, when you are around the Express tent, let potential customers milling around know how fun this kit is to build & fly! We need to see multiple rows of Express's at these things in the future instead of just 2 or 3 planes sitting by themselves in that big field...

Thanks,
Brian