CT Tailfeathers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » CT Tailfeathers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:02 am:   

Please pardon my ignorance and not wanting to dig trough the manuals...but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to remove the horizontal stab from a CT...

I'm hoping to get into my project again...(bought a previously flying airplane that needs much work).

I'd like to get the fuselage into my shop, but space is limited and taking off the stab would be very helpful...

As the entire plane needs to be sanded and refinished, digging into the bondo and removing finish material is no big deal...I'm just wondering how would be the best to get this off, and still be able to get it back on when the time is right...

Thanks,
Al

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 11:11 am:   

Al,
I would suggest cutting it out where it went together in the fuselage. One way would be to crawl back inside and drill a series of guide holes where the 2 tail halves meet the lower fuselage. Then from the outside make cuts to the guide holes. Of course you will need to support tail on a tower and all that stuff. Putting it back on will require a lot of clean up and prep in the areas.

Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls
Republic of Texas

Jimmie Kevin Alderman
Username: Vikingpilot

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 11:08 am:   

Seems like a lot of work, given that the tail is only about 8.5 feet wide. It should go through a standard garage door like a couch goes through a house door- one end at a time.

Jimmie Kevin Alderman
Username: Vikingpilot

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 11:08 am:   

There is an overlap joint about 4 to 5 feet from the end of the rudder going forward. This is where the tail assembly attaches to the fuselage. If one were insisting on removing the tail, this is where I would do it. The tailfeathers on a CT are made up of 4 parts put together, top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left and the associated ribs, etc. I guess you could cut the horizontal stab off at some point from the rudder outward, but then you would have to fabricate some type of spar to carry the load back to the main fuselage assembly.

Having put the tail together and installed it on my plane, I would say to find the fuselage joint and take it apart there. If you look inside the fuselage and down toward the back past the second bulkhead (the first is the back of the baggage area) it is just beyond there. The foam filler has been removed and a solid joint is there. I think you would have to cut the fuselage there and lay up another reinforcing joint that will overlap and provide the strength for the re-installation.

Seems like a lot of work, given that the tail is only about 8.5 feet wide. It should go through a standard garage door like a couch goes through a house door- one end at a time.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 12:23 pm:   

I agree that if you absolutely have to, the place to take it apart would be in the vicinity of the current construction joint. However, I have to say that I would highly recommend to not do this. The original joint involves the convergence of the inner and outer skins surrounding the foam core of the sections ahead of and behind the joint, and as such, if you cut it you will never regain the same joint strength unless you glass over at the joint both on the inside and outside, which would create a bump on the outside, since the original joggle is no longer available. Therefor, I would highly recommend not to do this ...find a place to work where you have enough space, a much better approach to the job.
Reinhard Metz

Joe Chisolm

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:30 pm:   

I agree with everyone else to not do this unless you really have to. Having crawled back in there putting the tail on the first time I would not want to do it again.

Give us the size of your work space. Maybe someone here will have some ideas based on available work space.

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 06:53 am:   

The shop is 15x40'....9' ceiling height.

I'm planning to remove the engine, maybe the engine mount...I'm unsure of what the weight of the aircraft would be from the firewall aft.

I know I can get it in the shop with the horizontal stab in place. The issue is more working space and being able to manipulate the fuselage to refinish it.

Yes, I have the typical crap...benches shelves and the like around the shop, so currently there is not 15' of working space. I may reconfigure everything for the movement of the fuselage, and leave the tail as it is...I don't know.

Just trying to plan ahead...it will be a while until I get it moved...A wing is in the shop now and I still have the other wing to finish.

Thanks,
Al

Joe Chisolm

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 01:22 pm:   

Al,
I was scanning threads and saw your reply. Not sure how much you have done since your last post, but 40x15x9 should work. I started work on the fuselage/tail in my double wide garage. I extended the back by 12ft I think it was so I had about 16x30x8 to work in. I had a welder, work benches on both sides, etc. It was tight but very workable. I did finally get smart enough to put some red rags on the ends of the tail feathers so I would keep from hitting my head :-)

Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls
Republic of Texas

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: