Archive through October 18, 2012 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through October 18, 2012 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Louie Lacy
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 01:23 pm:   

Can anyone tell me where I can find a 100 amp alternator for the Express?
Lou Lacy

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 05:26 pm:   

Lou,

What kind of motor? And are you set on an aviation version, or using an automotive? Here's a link to 100-amp TCM alternators:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TCM-24-Volt-100-Amp-Aircraft-Alternator_W0QQitemZ 140306804399QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Aviation_Parts_Gear?hash=item20aaefeeaf&_t rksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

BTW--I've got a Mitsubishi automotive alternator on mine; it fits on the IO-540 quite easily and it's one of the 60-amp smaller ones.

Chuck

Douglas Hoff
Username: Dhoff

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 09:18 pm:   

Hi everyone-

I have a friend that would love to fly my Express but he's 6'4" and too tall to get his legs to work the controls and sit comfortably. Our front seats are already against the wing spar carry through. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so is there a way to remedy it? How hard would it be to move the panel higher to allow for more leg room? If only there was a way to get some of the ample room in back up front!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Doug Hoff
doug@scotchcap.com

Michael Farley
Username: Mikefarley

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 08:10 am:   

How much foam do you have on your front seats? With your seat backs already to the carry through, (as far as I can think) that leaves you with the following options:

1. adjust the rudder pedals forward (I'm guessing that would be a pretty big challenge)

2. raise the instrument panel (maybe 1/2" spacers could be used to raise the panel? I'm not sure how you have your panel mounted)

3. thin out the seat cushions so he sits back farther in the seat, thus giving him more leg room.

I'm not sure how practical any of those solutions are for you, but best of luck. I hope you're able to figure something out.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 08:08 pm:   

A couple weeks ago I was on a 2 hour IFR flight that culminated in a good half hour of showers and a landing in heavy rain. Last weekend I started my annual inspection, and to my surprise found a small puddle of water behind the 162 bulkhead. While it is well known that the airflow in and out of the fuselage can be baffling, and that negative pressure is present in several tail areas (explaining possible water intrusion at, for example, the rudder pully access covers), this was still unexplainable to me - where/how could water have gotten there? The next bulkhead has holes higher up for the cables, and between the bulkheads there are no hole/access to the outside! Anyone have any ideas?

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 09:09 pm:   

Reinhard,

When I picked up work on 336FS, the previous builder had installed a wet-vac with a not-so-efficient air-oil separator. The wet-vac was really 'wet' (it failed shortly thereafter) and during one of my more memorable FAA fly-off sorties, I pumped out about 2 1/2 quarts of AS-100 'out' of the engine. I thought it had vented outside the airplane, and was contemplating the impact to the environment and EPA issues as I climbed in the back to stow the empty oil bottles. Much to my surprise, the missing 2 quarts wasn't outside the airplane...it was almost all inside the plane in the channel in the floor where the rudder cables ran and oozing all the way to the main spar! Doing some checking on later flights, there is a very distinct (strong) vacuum created in/around the doors in the front (at that time, I didn't have air seals installed...I do now). Putting a chart near any seam in the door showed strong suction. That makes since as you've got negative pressure across the top of the plane about the middle of the front cabin (widest part). Conversely, there's high pressure along the bottom. The oil was essentially 'sucked' up through the holes around the rudder inspection port as well as small traces seeping in around a couple not-so-secure screw-sinks in the wing-root fairing lower section (all now sealed).

My theory, then, is that barring a near air-tight seal around your access doors, you're pulling a vacuum up front which is 'sucking' water in through the rudder panel. That would be a fairly swift suction in the tapered section of the tail, creating likely enough blow-by to clear the gap up to the rudder cable holes. It might have actually filled the section to the holes, then seeped back out and drained during taxi to parking.

Just a thought.

Chuck
N336fs

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 07:39 am:   

Susan Sack here asking if any of you builders would like to have the two Express construction manuals which Terry used to build his Express. They are complete, something rare for an early CT Express and were personally given to him by Larry Olsen. These manuals are slightly beat up but contain everything, nothing missing.
Please contact me directly at tasack@columbus.rr.com

jorge baccaro
Username: Jabaccaro

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 08:17 pm:   

Hello
I want to close the wing but I can't found anything about K and L ribs.
Also I haven't therm, son I have to built from others free parts.
When they have to be in place? how many layers, from inside and outside?Thay have to be bonded to lower skin? with milled fiber?
Please I need this details, thanks

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 09:44 am:   

Does anyone know where you can get the NAS77A4-009 and -016 bushings that are used in the rudder and elevator hinges? I have about 1000 hrs. now, and have developed a bit of slop in these and want to replace bushings and close tolerance bolts. But - they seem very hard to find...

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 11:06 am:   

Reinhard:
I did a quick search and came up with this company who shows quite a few in-stock.
Electronic Hardware ltd.
818-982-6100
It's been a long time since we met at Oshkosh. Doing my annual right now.
Jim