Express vs other designs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Express vs other designs « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 18, 2000Gary Markwardt21 09-18-00  03:03 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reinhard Metz
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 03:40 pm:   

Another 2 cents worth:

Some time ago when I visited Lancair, I also found them arrogent. But in my opinion the biggest issue with the IV and ES is back seat leg space, which for real passengers and big pilots (Seat back) is unacceptable. Very few people seem to notice this, but check it out at a fly-in. There's also a large take-off/landing weight differential (on the IV), which can get you into trouble when you are out on short hops.

I thoroughly enjoy my Express, often fly it at gross weight with the whole family and baggage, and for long distances. And the factory is consistently nice, helpfull, and knowledgeable.

Reinhard Metz, N49EX

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 11:37 am:   

Hey, if you don't subscribe to Custom Planes magazine, go find the April 2001 issue. Editor Norm Goyer has a great 4 page article on the Express Series 2000. He test flew the factory demonstrator at Copperstate and gives it a great review. The article is mostly accurate with about the usual number of inaccuracies. For instance Paul Fagerstron is never mentioned as the co-founder/owner of Express. Great pictures of the demonstrator and builder assist program.

Let's hope this article results in lots of sales for Express.

Tom

LOUIE LACY (Llacy)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:20 am:   

If you want to appreciate owning or building an Express look at the article in Nov Flying magazine page 79. A fractional ownership in a Cirrus SR22(which the Express will outperform) is 1/8 ownership for $55,000 -$600 to $700 maintenance fee/month and $55 per hour to operate plus the guy has to drive 1+10 to the airport where the airplane is based. He has to call about 1 month in advance to get the airplane and cost him $1400 to fly to OSH and he thinks this is GOOD!! .

Mark H.
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 11:47 am:   

Hi all -

New to the forum here, but just wanted to clarify some things from the Flying article for the record:

1) The authors specific experience was referring to his part ownership in a new C-182T in the main article, not a Cirrus. His $1,400 trip was basically at $100 / hr wet for a brand new airplane. Nothing was mentioned about buy in cost, monthly fees for admin, hangar, etc of his C-182T, so it's hard to say if it's reasonable or not by comparison. Looking at other fractional or multi-owner groups, my guess is that it's probably pretty reasonable. However, everyone can value this differently.

2) The Cirrus portion of the article states that after the initial 4 year agreement, fractional owners have the option to CASH OUT their full initial investment (the $55k) or roll it into a new airplane. You're also a titled owner to the airplane. I think that when you pencil out the numbers, you'll probably see that it's a fairly decent deal for a $300k+ airplane comperable to an Express - all maintenance, support, insurance, etc being provided, plus guaranteed access to a plane even if yours is down for maintenance (or destroyed in a freak aileron repair mishap). $55 / hr wet is a pretty darn good for a 310hp airplane I must admit. I wish my current flying club offered this level of value.

Just wanted to clarify a few things for those interested...

- MH

Kelley
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:55 pm:   

Where in the article did it mention that he had to book at least a month in advance??? That would sure be a pain.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 05:37 pm:   

It actually didn't.

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:50 am:   

If you haven't visited the Express Aircraft website recently at: http://www.express-aircraft.com you may not be aware Larry Olson of EAC was interviewed recently on Kitplanes Radio. Kitplanes Radio is a online talk show every week that focuses on the kit plane industry. You can hear Larry's interview at:

http://www.kitplanes.com/Redirect/radio/2022703.asp

Tom

Michael Jastrzebski
Username: Michal

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 10:36 am:   

Mark H. writes:
fractional owners have the option to CASH OUT their full initial investment (the $55k)

This is not correct. There is no guarantee you will get all your initial $$ back. It will depend on whatever appreciation/depreciation aircraft had suffered.

Michael Fischer
Username: Snowmike45

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 06:55 pm:   

Hello All, We are just considering placing an order either for a Lancair ESP or a Express RG kit. We are wondering if anybody can verify the factory performance figures quoted for the RG from real life figures on a completed aircraft?

Regards, Mike & Dinah in Australia

Roy Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:10 pm:   

Mike,
If you are considering a Lancair ES, why not the Express FT? Our F16 pilots bought one.

I can attest to the performance numbers as we just flew across the USA to Sun n' Fun and back. There are 70 of these flying in the US and more abroad.

The Express far out does the Lancair for payload. Put in 530 liters of petrol, 4 blokes of 90 Kilos apiece, and still have payload for more than 60 Kilos of baggage, the Express handles it with ease. The stall speed is a low 53 knots and has a demonstrated cross wind capability of 29 knots. The kit price is far lower, though we have a price increase coming up September 1st.

There are several Express RG kits being built. None are flying yet though we hope to have some soon. The performance numbers are estimated.

M. Hunter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   

Mike,

Having been involved with this industry for many years, and flown many different kit aircraft (factory and customer built), I'll toss in my $.02

I've always felt that seeing is believing. If at all possible, test fly one for yourself. Just because someone else likes a plane doesn't mean it's right for you. Check out the handling qualities, speeds, features and such for yourself before spending tens of thousands of dollars on something you may not like in the end. There should be one or two flying or under construction in Australia even, so if you can't make it to the US, try some local resources. Performance should be seen first-hand, not via a marketing brochure or company pitch. Even spending the $$ to go visit both factories could be money well invested if it means getting the airplane that you truly want in the end.

The Express is a good airplane, as are others. Like others, performance is always a trade off based upon configuration variables (altitude, power, weight, CG, prop efficiency, build quality, etc)... that's a basic law of aircraft design that no airplane can override. So see it for yourself before buying, as many others do. I did a few years back, and while in the end it wasn't right for me, this way you'll know if you're getting what you think you're getting in the end.

Hope this helps..

- Mike

Kevin Dennes
Username: Kdennes

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 06:14 am:   

Michael.
I have just about completed our Express 2000. It is in the paint shop at Bankstown and should be ready for "showing" very shortly. You would be welcome at any time to visit me here and I could give you a good look at this great bird. We chose the fixed gear Express over a plethora of other retractibles available for a 1000 reasons and would be delighted to talk to you about that.

Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 02:05 pm:   

Mike Hunter's post is correct. Nothing beats seeing it for yourself. Before buying & building my Express, I visited both the Lancair and Express factories and flew the Lancair ES & Express FT on consecutive days. Both planes flew great. But, I concluded Express was the way to go for three reasons -- 1)center stick (critical for those who like to write left handed or switch hands while flying); 2)convenience and safety of two doors vs. one; 3)the people (Lancair was rather aloof). You also can't beat the rear seat room in the Express. The Express FT is a superb cross country airplane, as fast as the Lancair ES and probably carries more payload. I wouldn't change my decision if I had to do it again.

Doug Preston
Username: Dprestonsr

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:14 pm:   

Hello all. I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I am requesting information previously discussed. I am interested in buying a flying Express. Would like to learn more about performance with different horsepower. Interested in difference with Lyc 250 & Lyc 300 HP. If anything for sale please advise. Is there anyone in the Southeast (GA., AL., MS.) that has the knowledege to help with a pre-buy inspection?
Thanks,
Doug

Ed Watson
Username: Edwatson

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   

I have a special Express project for sale. It is special in that it is structurally complete, and I've had a new engine mount designed to install a RR B250. The mount moves the engine forward 21 inches so a new cowl has been designed and the molds built for top and bottom cowls. The mount is designed to meet Part 23 requirements in the Utilitary category. Engine isolators are currently being machined to interface the mount and engine. The interior and instrument panel are incomplete. All parts are in hand and include the aluminum gear with the internal brake line and wheels and brakes (Grove Aircraft).

I'm having medical problems and will not be able to complete. The aircraft was proposed to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as a sensor aircraft for border patrol. While it has not been turned down they have ordered two Predator B aircraft (a super dumb and expensive was to patrol the border in my view), but that seems to be the way they are headed, after all they have all of our money to spend.

If interested I can deliver almost anywhere or have a shop here in San Diego that will complete for you. With the turbine engine the Express will be a super aircraft and a show stopper wherever it goes.

Ed Watson, 7461 Batista St. San Diego, CA 858-277-8818

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: