Archive through September 27, 2002 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Brake Lines » Archive through September 27, 2002 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom Hutchison
Posted on Monday, August 30, 1999 - 08:18 pm:   

Some time ago there was a discussion on the Lancair mailing list regarding the 3/16" Nylaflow brake lines supplied with the Lancair kits. Several people reported problems with the Nylaflow brake lines melting after the brakes became hot and subsquently failing. What brake lines does Express use? Lots of Lancair builders had replaced their brake lines with either aluminum or braided aeroquip lines. Any opinions on brake lines?

I am concerned at this point because the fiberglass gear legs supplied with the new Express kits has a plastic "conduit" glassed onto the leg for the brake lines. If I want to use a larger brake line, the conduit will be to small. Need to decide now if I need to order gear legs with a larger plastic conduit.

Jerry Sjostrand
Posted on Monday, August 30, 1999 - 09:20 pm:   

Hi Tom,
I installed the brake lines with the Nyloflow as indicated on the plans but changed after finding that the heat from the brakes caused the fittings to loosen. I installed a 3" section of stainless braided exterior hose with a teflon liner (used in racing cars, etc) that solved my problem. That is available from an industrial hose supplier made to length with swaged ends. Aeroquip has a similar product. That took care of the heat transfer and any vibration problems. You still use the nyloflow tube inside the leg tube and then connect it to the new line at the wheel.

You do not need to order new gear legs.

Be sure to place the brake caliper at the lower rear area of the disc so it can receive cooling air. I saw one installation where the brake unit was mounted upper rear. Bad placement for cooling.

Good luck

CBROS
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 06:56 am:   

Tom:

What Jerry said except that we used a combination of flexible hoses and alumininum tubing.

Bill C
CBROS

LOUIE LACY
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 1999 - 08:42 am:   

JERRY
WHEN YOU USED THE SHORT BRAIDED HOSE DID IT FIT OK INTO THE WHEEL PANTS OR DID YOU HAVE TO ADD AN EXTENSION ?
LOU
llacy@netease.net

Bill Copeland
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 1999 - 09:20 pm:   

Lou:

We also used a braided section about 4 inches long which we had made at a local speed shop. While we haven't finished mounting our wheel fairings, I can tell you for sure that by the time you complete the fairing around the brake, the line will easily fit inside and will not interfere with mounting of the fairing. If you need pics, let me know.

Bill C.

LOUIE LACY
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 1999 - 10:19 am:   

BILL C
BILL I HAVE DECIDED TO RUN THE BRAIDED HOSE ALL THE WAY UP THE GEAR LEG AND MAKE THE CONNECTION INSIDE THE WING DO YOU SEE ANY PROBLEM WITH THAT
LOU

Emily Post
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 1999 - 12:11 pm:   

Lou, STOP SHOUTING!!!!

Its proper etiquette, and also much easier to read if you use lower case letters...

Emily Post

Bill Copeland
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 1999 - 12:38 pm:   

Lou:

No, I don't see any problem with running the flexible hose up into the wing.

Bill C.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 1999 - 12:41 pm:   

Emily:

Thanks for your advice.

Kevin Dennes (Kdennes)
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 03:37 am:   

Greetings all.

I am about to start running my brake lines from the pedals to a parking brake connector on the floor inside the console. Question. . . Are people running their lines adjacent to the fuel lines under the front seats or are you running them down the centre to the aft shear tie and exiting near the flap torque tube? I know that if you exit near the fuel lines then the brake line from the legs would have to be brought up and over the spar to meet the cabin side plumbing. Maybe that is not such a big deal. I have asked the factory about the instructions for the fuel and brake lines for there is absolutely nothing in the instruction manual and they have never answered my enquiry but I am sure some of you builders will be able to give me some guidance.

Regards.

Kevin (from Downunder)