Hot battery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Hot battery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wayne
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 06:19 am:   

I had my cowl off to repaint the exhaust shoots, good thing. I have my battery mounted on the FW left side. It must be to close to the left exhaust pipes, because after 60 hours, the front of the battery is swelled/bulged out forward. Do to the heat I would guess.
So if yours is mounted in the same local you might want to check it. I am ordering some heat reflective matterial, from Jegs Automotive Racing to cover the new one. Also some exhaust wrap.
Also I found in Jegs a U shaped hose fitting that is the same (looking) anyway as the 75$ one you get for the vac pump. but for only 15$. Yea, I know , automotive, racing 200mph near the ground in an explosive funny car is not the same as being up in an airplane. But if you can't fly partial panel IFR , you are already taking chances.
Keep checking things, remember we are flying Exerimental airplanes.

Eric Holmberg (Erich)
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 11:35 am:   

Speaking of checking everything, did anybody make an inspection door in their cowling that's big enough to look at the engine? I liked being able to open up the cowling on the Piper Cherokee that I used to have to thoroughly check the engine before flying. I did find several things over the course of ownership that grounded me. Most of them were after an annual, too :P

I've been thinking about making a door on the upper side of the cowling that I can easily open just like the oil door. Any ideas out there?

-Eric

LOUIE LACY (Llacy)
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 06:16 pm:   

Eric and Wayne
Eric
Some of the cowlings like mine have access plates on both sides of the engine don't look all that great but are very functional
Wayne
When I moved my oil cooler air inlet to a NACA scoop above my right exhaust pipe I put a stainless steel baffle over the pipe and seems to work fine Will send picture if you want
Lou

wayne
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 06:57 pm:   

Need heat. So what type of heat muff are you all using, and which side? There doesn't look like much room to put one on the exhaust stack. It is going to be cold soon and I need to do something. I did find an exhaust outfit in CA that makes muffs.

paul mikaelsen (Pmikaelsen)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 01:30 pm:   

wayne sorry I am so late in sending you this response to your heat problem. You are probably right that the heat from the exhaust caused your battery to bulge. Just for peace of mind you might want to be sure your battery is not over charging. Make sure that your voltage does not go over 14.6 volts and that your battery does not smell like rotten eggs.

Wayne
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:57 am:   

I have wrapped my exhaust pipes from the flang to almost the ends with Racing exhaust wrap. That has helped my engine run cooler and I'm sure it is keeping the inside of the cowl cooler too. I also put a layer of insulated fire sheild on the front side of the batt.
I have an EIS, that monitors everything, there is an alarm if the voltage gets above 14.5. or below 12.6. That thing is great, I highly recommend it to replace all the engine gauges. You could also replace the fuel gauge as well. Except for a compass it is possable to put every thing you need on one 3x5 screen. I can put you in touch with a dealer if anyone wants one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: