What Aircraft did you fly in to train... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » What Aircraft did you fly in to train for the Express? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Farley
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 06:53 pm:   

Greetings Everyone,

First, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Michael Farley, son of Express CT builder Glen Farley. I'm a private pilot, currently working on both insturment and commercial ratings in college.

I have a question for all of you with completed aircraft; what types of aircraft did you use to prepare to fly your Express? I'm currently flying in a Grob G-115C, which I would imagine has similar flying qualities to the Express.

Thank you for your time!!

Gary Markwardt
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 10:50 am:   

Mike:
I flew a 180 hp fixed pitch prop Cessna C-172 before the Express. While the transition was not terribly difficult, I found the 10 hr. transition training at Olympia, WA in the Express demonstrator was invaluable. I highly recommend it. Gary

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 04:10 pm:   

Does anyone know if John Klenke is available for training? Is the demonstrator still flying (somewhere?), and might it be available for transition training (a longshot, but worth asking)?
Thanks,
Jim

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 05:19 pm:   

Check your e-mail.

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 05:53 am:   

Mike,

I had the advantage of having flown many aircraft in the Air Force via the USAF Test Pilot School (which included about 10 different gliders, and a half-dozen light aircraft). That said, I also had a Grumman Traveler and access to my friend's Tiger. Before I flew my Auriga, I spent about 10 hours flying in an FT (Series 90) and a couple hours flying a CT (Buddy Edwards owned/built those two, first). I helped the purchaser of the FT transition from about 1000 hours of C-182 time to the FT before he bought it. Having seen/done all of that, I'd recommend practicing in a low-wing aircraft, particularly the Tiger. A Piper Archer would be another suggestion. If you will have a constant speed prop on your bird, then practice in a similarly equipped plane BEFORE you fly your Express. To me, that was the biggest effort in my transition (and I'm still practicing on how to make descents without over-leaning the engine). The C-types flare a LOT different than you'll find the Express. You kind of swap ends in a Cessna and wait for the touchdown. Like a Grumman (or Piper with Metco wingtips), the Express is a more subtle flare and needs to be flown all the way through touchdown until the nose can't be held off the runway any more. When I took a new Grumman purchaser up in my Traveler before he took delivery of his Cheetah, I saw this first hand. He had only flown C-172s and I had to take the plane in the ballooned flare, add full power, and we still lost paint off the tail tie down. You'll find the Tiger is a lot more sensitive in roll, but about the same in pitch. The 'sight picture' in level flight is about the same in a Tiger, but much different in a Cessna--you'll set the nose a lot lower in your Express for level flight. If you make it look like a Cessna level picture, you'll find yourself in a climb more often than not. Of course, the best resource is another Express near by. Hopefully, you'll find one. Best of luck.

Chuck

Jim Butler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 05:58 am:   

Jim,

Where are you located? If you are close to northwest Indiana, I can take you for some flights in mine. It will have to be from the right seat, as you aren't on my insurance policy, but at least it will be time in an Express. Other than that, Chuck's advice is excellent.

Jim Butler

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 08:29 am:   

Or if you are nearer to Chicago, Illinois, you can join me in mine (a CT version).

I had a V-tail Bonanza before my Express, and it was excellent preparation, since you have to plan speed and descents about the same in it. Speed and performance are very similar, especially to the S90. I then had 2 hours in Ed Bernard's CT Express before my first flight, and as a result felt completely at home in mine right away.

In my opinion, the most important preparation is significant time in a performance airplane. The specific handling differences and qualities can be learned in someone's Express fairly quickly, if it is on top of a solid base of handling all aspects of a higher performance plane. It's not the handling differences that are so important as the speed at which things happen.

Reinhard Metz

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 02:57 pm:   

Great Post Chuck! I had forgot all about this post until I saw several people have just recently posted in it.

This is all really good info to go by. I'm still hoping that my father and I will be ready for a first flight later this fall sometime, so hopefully some transition training can be arranged before that. Now all I have to do is talk him into letting me be the first to fly it ;)

Mike Farley

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   

Great Post Chuck! I had forgot all about this post until I saw several people have just recently posted in it.

This is all really good info to go by. I'm still hoping that my father and I will be ready for a first flight later this fall sometime, so hopefully some transition training can be arranged before that. Now all I have to do is talk him into letting me be the first to fly it ;)

Mike Farley

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   

Chuck, Jim, and Reinhard:
Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for the ideas, and offers. My plans are to follow the advice, and gain time in performance spam cans(an oxymoron?!?!)Then I'll see what's available to me in local Express', so that I can satisfy the insurance gods.
Have a great weekend - I'll be attacking my firewall some more.
Jim

Doug Stone
Username: Dougstone

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 07:52 am:   

I have purchased a CT, IO 520 in central Ca. I need to get a sign off in an Express to fly it out, and also the BFR is coming due. Any idea of someone in Ca. that can help with both.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: