Archive through July 28, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Osh Kosh 2003 » Archive through July 28, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 07:52 pm:   

Posted on behalf of Express Aircraft. Sorry I won't be able to see everyone this year. Don't forget the name tags someone. TH

-------------------------------------------------

Once again, Oshkosh is upon us – July 29th to August 4th !

Last year we had an outstanding attendance of Express owners, airplanes, builders and enthusiasts at the show. Let’s see if we can do even better this year! This is to invite you (and as many others as you can bring with you!) to Oshkosh for some great community spirit and a show of Express force! And of course it would be great to get as many flying planes there as possible.

The Express factory is again arranging a dinner for the Express community, including a few enticing “extras”:

· Dinner is again planned to be a pig roast, on the show grounds, on Friday night August 1st.

· Like last year, there will be some fantastic raffle prizes!

· Express T-shirts for all pre-registered attendees

· Cost for dinner, drinks, shirts just $20 per attendee

So, mark your calendar and cancel any conflicts!! To ensure there is enough food to go around, this year there will be limited seats available for on-site or last minute dinner sign-up, so please let us know as soon as possible if you plan to attend.

Click Here to Register for Dinner

Douglas Hoff
Username: Dhoff

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:47 am:   

Dear Express builders-

I was wondering if anyone else seems to be having problems with rudder authority? I never seem to have enough rudder, especially in a crosswind. I've noticed that when I hold the rudder pedal to the floor it is possible to deflect the rudder to the neutral position with little effort. Is this normal?

I finally have our plane nearly ready to fly again. As most of you know we've had many problems with it and it hasn't been in the air more than a few hours since we finished the factory build option. It started with a broken fiberglasslanding gear (Express had drilled the holes in the wrong places for the wheel attachment and instead of throwing it away simply filled them with resin and painted over it) and has been downhill from there. I guess it's true that the only thing that keeps a plane flying is money!!!

Does anyone know where I can get a builders manual or a pilot operating handbook?

Thanks for any help. We will probably be in OKosh but will drive as we still have repaint our wings (the factory worked on the cracks in the leading edge and repainted the part of the wings that they worked on the wrong color and it looks pretty tacky)and fix the wheel pants and do some other repairs. I intended to get the plane to quite a few shows but but that's hard to do when it's in the shop all the time!

Thanks for any help!

Doug & Molly Hoff

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 08:12 am:   

Many things can be said about the Express (most of them good!), but lack of rudder authority is not one of them. I have landed with horrendous crosswinds on numerous occasions with ease. This is a flight regime where the Express excells.

Your other observation seems like a hint at the source of your problem - no way should the rudder be able to be deflected to neutral when the pedals are depressed - It sounds like you have some source of severe slack in your rudder system, and I would find and eliminate it before further flight. Something may be outright broken. All control connections should be absolutely solid with very little or no slop.

Reinhard Metz

Bruce Newlan
Username: Bnewlan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   

In regard to rudder authority, I would like to make a comment. I built one of the two Express tail draggers, and one really needs rudder authority in that case, particularly on take off. Before I modified the rudder system, right brake was always required on takeoff; not a good situation. I struggled about a year with the stock EDI rudder system. I tried tightening cables, reducing friction at the pulleys, crossing over the cables in the tail cone to have a better pulling angle on the rudder bellcrank, adding a bellcrank at mid fuselage and using push-pull tubes to the rudder, etc, etc, all to no avail. The maximum static rudder force I could get was about 18 lbs (usually around 12 lbs) measured at the trailing edge of a series 90 rudder, using a spring scale to bring the rudder to neutral while the rudder was held or blocked to full rudder. So I take some issue with Reinhard saying it is absolutely solid. You should try the test I used. I think you might be surprised. With a nose wheel, things are a little better on takeof with the lateral stability. A strong cross wind landing was not tried during those first few hours, but I suppose that would also have been a problem.

I have still not refined the rudder modifications I made, however, I now have plenty of force, but requiring additional foot power. Basically, the cables are attached to the pedals, and run down the inside of the fuselage on pulleys, exit the fuselage about 2 feet from the tail and are attached to a 6 inch rudder horn. Now I have a SOLID rudder force. Further testing will be made as time allows.

Bruce Newlan

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:26 pm:   

I have had the same exprience as Reinhard with the rudder. I have landed in as much as 21 knots of direct cross wind without problem. Usually I put in whatever rudder I need to keep the airplane aligned with the runway, and have to reduce rudder input as I near the ground.

Jim

Gary Markwardt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:43 am:   

Doug:
I agree with Reinhard & Jim, rudder authority has not been an issue. Since you, Jim & I are the first three out of the bulder's assist program with the low tail, I suspect our rudder setups are very similar. I'd check very carefully for cable slack as Reinhard suggested. Gary

kdennes
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 11:39 pm:   

Gary.
Do the Builder Assist aircraft to which you refer have the cable and pulley rudder control or the newer bowden type cables which we have installed?
Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)

Douglas Hoff
Username: Dhoff

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:57 am:   

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments on rudder control and to make a further comment. Left rudder is my biggest problem, right rudder seems to be tighter. With someone holding the left rudder blocked to the full rudder position I can deflect it to the neutral position with virtually no force (I can easily do it with my little finger). It is much better with right rudder. My theory is that in crowswind landings the wind exerts enough force on the rudder to bring it to the neutral position, thus giving me no control. I noticed the lack of rudder control, especially left rudder, in my first crosswind attempt. I had just landed my Cessna 120 in about a 15 K crosswind with no problem whatsoever, but couldn't align the Express with the runway with full left rudder (I think I almost put my foot through the floor trying).I thought it was just a problem inherent to the plane as when I mentioned it to Larry Olson he didn't seem concerned. I finally have the plane pretty much flyable again now and think I'd better investigate this further.

Thanks again,

Doug Hoff

Gary Markwardt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:46 pm:   

Kevin:
Mine is the Bowden cable system. Not sure about Butler or Hoff's planes. Latest design is a push rod system which is probably best. Gary

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 11:11 am:   

I am so sorry I have to pass along this terrible news to everyone on the Express Builder's Forum.

Ted Gaston of Express Aircraft Company just called me to inform me Larry Olson was killed yesterday in Aberdeen, South Dakota in the Express Turbine RG. According to Ted, Larry had just departed Aberdeen and reported an engine problem. He was turning back to the airport when he crashed.

Here is a URL to a local storry. http://www.ksfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=1377686&nav=0w0iH8E5

My deepest sympathy to everyone who was privilged to know and work with Larry. I will add any more information as I receive it