Starting to see Express around the we... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Starting to see Express around the web.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:01 am:   

Just though I'd let you guys know - I've been seeing some Express pictures popping up here and ther on the web. One place is Hartzell - and it looks like a green paint job just like Rob Jordans - cant see the tail number.

http://www.hartzellprop.com/kitplane/index_kitplane.htm

Jim

Jim Oyler

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:02 am:   

Looks like N17AK - anybody from here?

Gayle Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 11:05 am:   

Jim, The Express on the Hartzell website belongs to Jim & Kay Butler, N174JK. That was the first Express to go completely through the Builder Assist & Factory Finish Program. It is a beautiful example of the aircraft.

Jim Oyler

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

Ahh.. ok. I would have to agree that it really is a great looking plane. I think I saw the Butler Express on another site... off to take another look!!

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 08:25 pm:   

Its kind of a toss-up whether there are more pictures of Britney Spears or N174JK out there

Jim Oyler

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 08:33 pm:   

Anybody have a bigger than 1024 pic of it (like Robs)? Would love to see it up close. Can e-mail it to me. Any other pics of the planes flying would be nice too.

Thx

Jim

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 10:22 am:   

Jim,

There are some pics of Robs on the Express website under the News section. Rob sent me these shortly after he completed his first flight. We also had a professional photographer take some pictures of N511EA (EAC’s FT Demonstrator) and they are in the Photo section. If you haven’t seen Roy Davis’s website he has documented his construction process nicely.

www.express-aircraft.com/News (Rob Jordan and Others)

www.express-aircraft.com/photos (N511EA and many others)

www.nancymoon.com (Roy Davis & Nancy Moon N10NM)

Jim Oyler

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:03 am:   

Seen those - thanks.. That Tail shot of 511EA is a 'money shot'! Love it...

LOUIE LACY
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:22 pm:   

The Express is finally getting attention from EAA.There is a picture of 511EA in my renewal packet!!
llacy311@tds.net

LOUIE LACY
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:48 am:   

I have a problem with my brakes. I installed new Cleveland wheel and brakes a couple of months ago. I found the Matco sent with the kit would not hold the Express above 2000rpm. After installing the Clevelands I now have to pump the brakes about 3 times to get a good"pedal". I have bled the brakes about 10 times to no help. Will I have to install(read expensive) Cleveland brake cylinders to make them work properly??

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:55 am:   

No. The problem is that it is extremely difficult to bleed them and get every last little bubble out of every nook and cranny. The way I did mine was to make the fluid a "closed" flow through system, connecting the bleeder to a hose, back to the reservoir, and pumped the fluid around and around for a long time, until no little bubbles showed up in the flow ever, and then closed it off. Some people do that with an external pump to increase the flow velocity, which helps. The result was that mine are stiff, will hold the plane at any rpm, but are still not as sensitive as the ones on my Bonanza were. For that you need all steel lines, no nylaflow, and different cylinders.

Jeff Dingbaum
Username: Aviators

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:11 am:   

Speaking of nylaflow... Has anyone had issues with their nylaflow tubing?
The Lancair mailing list has had numerous discussions about problems
with their tubing. I would think that having fixed gear would help tremendously, especially the new legs with the gun drilled brake line. Just wondering.

Jeff

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:22 am:   

Jeff, I have used the nylaflow for 8 years and my only problem was during the very first 50 hours when the heat from the brakes caused the fitting at the brake cylinder to leak. I added a short (3") stainless/teflon flex hose to stop the heat transfer. All has worked well since in 400 hours. I would not use aluminum tubing as vibration causes leaks at the connectors. The best solution is to use the teflon with the braided stainless exterior all the way to the master cylinders (but expensive). Jerry

Ted Gaston
Username: Ted_gaston

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:35 pm:   

If you pressure bleed your brakes from the bottom up you will have better luck getting rid of that trapped air. Make a pressure pot from a garden pump sprayer ($12.95 at your local hardware store). A small piece of rubber vacuum hose helps to adapt to the bleeder nut. Rig up a catcher for the overflow and go to town. You probably won't use more than 2 qts of fluid and if you catch the overflow in a clean container you can probably re-use it.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:25 pm:   

yep, that's the way to do it, or use a minivac/pump. Have a catch tube coming off your reservor into a qt jar, then start pumping fluid in from the botton up as fast as you can.
I have one piece SS braided line from the brake to the mast cylinder. less fittings/joints=less leaks.

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:39 pm:   

Wayne; One piece hose is great until you have to remove the gear leg and brake assy. Best have a union just inside the wing for easy removal unless the brake line is outside the gear leg. Even a small on/off valve would help eliminate the big after re-assembly. Great that you used the "good stuff".}

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:10 am:   

there is a groove in the TE, I tacked the line in with hotmelt glue then potted over with white silicone. I can strip them out if I have to.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:23 pm:   

back to the original tag line, yes that is my EX2K in the new Pacific Flier mag, no that is not my voluptuous co-pilot, taken at SnF. I had to tell her(?) sorry it's only a single seater.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: