Archive through August 18, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Propeller » Archive through August 18, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sven-Ake Eriksson
Username: Sven

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 02:30 pm:   

I found a page on the web, www.whirlwindpropellers.com, that contained info on composite constant speed props for different engines. Are there any people in our group that have any info on this company like product quality, reliability etc. Their prices also includes a complete spinner system. It looks like a very attractive item to me. Comments please.

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 04:17 pm:   

For over 200hp, they are designed as Aerobatic props. Prolly not what you would really be looking for in a 'cruiser' type plane...

Jim Oyler

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 07:20 pm:   

Here's a good manufacturer of Composite Props for most engines:

http://www.aerocomposites.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPage&page_id=E36FDA2 1-5004-D739-A5792799EC7B5445

And heres some info I ran across about selecting a Prop:

http://www.rv-8.com/Prop.htm

As for Whirl Wind, The best thing to do is talk to them. However, they seem to have only recently gotten into the Airplane market, and the Non-Aerobatic market even more recently, that finding the right combination for your plane will most likely be hit-or-miss.

Jim

Reinhard+Metz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:23 am:   

I've been looking at the Aerocomposites folks at the airshows for a couple years. They look to have a fantastic technology. My rediction is they are going to be very successful.

I'm saving my pennies and that will be my next big change on my plane, to get one of their props.

Reinhard Metz

Jim Oyler

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   

I'm keeping an eye on them too. Wanna see if they make it very far before committing.

MT is bigger/older, but not sure I like the use of a wood core. Especially one that is 'spliced' together as the MT's is (heavy wood at the base, lighter wood at the tip). But wouldnt it be nice to have a full feathering and reversing prop on a single engine plane!?

Jim

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   

The Aerocomposites should do well and one will be installed on an Express later this year. In addition, we recently found out that the MT's currently have a 200 hour TBO on the Express.

Jim Oyler

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   

200 hr TBO? Is that using the recommended engine? Or just 'for the Express'? Any reason why?

Bill Copeland
Username: Cbros

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   

One of the oldest axioms in the experimental business is: "don't ever be the first on your block".

Bill C

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   

How I understand it is that MT goes by German standards. Not only do you have to look at the prop & engine combo you need to add the airframe. When an Express MT owner has his prop torn down and inspected at 200 hours then it will raise to 500 hours (for everyone) and you repeat the process until you get up to 1800 hours.

Jim Oyler

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:30 pm:   

Well now, Who wants to be the first to mount a MT prop?

Jim