Differences between kits Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Differences between kits « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Brennan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:11 am:   

Hi guys - I am going to build an Express, that much I know - because I like the looks, and the specs and whatnot, and the price ain't bad either. What I'd like to know, if someone could help, is what is the difference between the Express 2000, the Express 2000RG and the Express 2000RG Turbine.

Also - does the Express 2000 series use a Yoke or a Stick?

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:25 am:   

The factory would be the best source for up2date information on the various models.

But, basically the Express Series 2000 is a fixed gear aircraft that shares the same wing airfoil as the Express 2000RG. The RG is a retractable gear model. And the 2000RG Turbine has the PW turbine powerplant out front.

All of the Express models use a stick.

Tom
Express Series 2000

Nick Brennan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:08 am:   

Do you know if it would be possible to fit a yoke instead of a stick? I don't know anything about this yet, but I do know that I was hoping for a yoke controlled aircraft.

I looked at the manuf. website and saw the 3 different models with no explanation. Thank you very much for clearing that up for me!

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   

Yes I suppose you could modify the control system from a dual stick configuration to a single or dual yoke. These are "experimental aircraft" so you can do whatever you want that will pass an FAA air-worthiness inspection.

One builder converted his early model Wheeler Express to a single center stick (Jerry Sjostrand). I've flown it and it works great.

However a yoke configuration would be an unusual modification that looks difficult to me. You would be pretty much on your own since neither the factory, nor anyone else has done it.

Tom

Gary Markwardt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:15 pm:   

I suggest you fly an Express with the stick -- maybe a visit to the factory. The stick is very intuitive & it takes zero time to get used to it. I came from a Cessna C-172 to the Express with no difficulty. Ever see a high performance fighter or aerobatic airplane with a yoke? Why not?

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:15 pm:   

Nick,
I came from an Archer with no problem flying the stick on the first flight. I have been flying the Express demonstrator for awhile and don’t want to go back to the yoke. You are more than welcome to come to the factory and take a demo flight. Give me a call and I can answer any questions you have.
Allyn Roe
Express Aircraft Co.
360-352-0560
allyn@express-aircraft.com

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:26 pm:   

The yoke controls add a lot of complexity, weight, and you have to make sure that the panel can support the additional stress. The next time you are at the airport, take a look under the panel at the yoke controls on a Cesna or Piper. There is normally a chain and quite a few other moving parts that look heavy to me and prone to wear out.

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to get rid of the stick?

-Eric

Roy Howard Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 10:47 am:   

The January 2004 issue of Kitplanes magazine ran an article on Top Kits where they compare various offerings. The Express Series 2000RG (though they called it the S300 RG) fared very well tying for first in useful load and taking second place for time to fly 500 and 1500 NM.

It should be noted that the plane we shared the top spot in payload and plane that beat us in time to fly both have significantly higher stall speeds. The Express is right up there on performance while maintaining the low stall speed necessary for a safe landing, especially on the smaller airports.

The Express Series 2000FT scored near the top of these categories too.

Also noted in the article was that the cheap planes were metal and all the high performance planes were composite.

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:14 am:   

Anyone know where in SE Wisconsin I can lay my hands on Kitplanes? I have ordered a subscription, but haven't started receiving yet..

Jim

Allyn J. Roe
Username: Allynroe

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 01:03 pm:   

Barnes & Nobles has a good aviation section with Kitplanes. I'm sure other large bookstores would carry it also.

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 07:06 pm:   

Dont know about there, but this B&N always seems to have one copy 3 months old... And they dont carry any other 'good' flying mag, just Aviation history stuff...

Thanks though

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: